[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Circulation of archives and manuscripts - options assessment

Susan Thomas susan.thomas at bodleian.ox.ac.uk
Wed May 23 11:50:48 EDT 2018

Dear colleagues,

We are in the process of implementing ArchivesSpace at the Bodleian Libraries for post-medieval archives and manuscripts. We also run a locally-built TEI infrastructure for medieval manuscripts, and for manuscripts in a range of Middle Eastern and Asian languages.

One of our current priorities is exploring how we might introduce online ordering by patrons, and circulation. Ideally we would like to use the same approach for content described in ArchivesSpace and in TEI. The vast majority of circulation for archives and manuscripts is currently managed through paper slips (c. 30,000 requests p.a.), the exception being the growing proportion of material held in our offsite store (c. 5,000 requests p.a.). The offsite material (barcoded) is circulated by staff-mediated ordering through Ex Libris' Aleph, which hooks into GFA LAS (the software used to manage our offsite store).

It would be very helpful to us to hear colleagues' views on the different possibilities, and especially to discover what have you chosen at your institution, and what options and considerations were weighed in the process. We are also considering some exploratory consultancy in this area, and would be keen to hear expressions of interest in such work, and recommendations of consultants with appropriate expertise.

Feel free to respond to the list, or to email me directly.

Many thanks for your help!

Susan

Susan Thomas
Head of Archives & Modern Manuscripts
Bodleian Library

Web: http://www.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/special-collections
Tel:    +44 (0) 1865 283821
Post: Weston Library, Broad Street, Oxford, OX1 3BG