[Archivesspace_Users_Group] External authority control in AS

Kevin W. Schlottmann kws2126 at columbia.edu
Thu May 3 11:54:27 EDT 2018

Dear ArchivesSpace community,

Here at Columbia we are in the process of migrating our archival
description to ArchivesSpace. Until now, the record-of-record has been
a collection-level library catalog record. These records undergo
regular authority control along with the rest of the catalog.

We plan to have the AS record be the record-of-record for archives
going forward, with a one-way export to the catalog, the discovery
layer, aggregators, etc.  We'd like to continue to have our records
undergo authority control with the same external vendor that does the
main catalog's bibliographic records.  I've come across some scripts
and projects [1][2][3], but I haven't heard of anyone doing this
systematically yet. We're exploring a variety of workflows to export
data, have it undergo authority control, and re-import the data, but
before we get too far, I'd love to hear from anyone who has set up
automated external authority control (or has explored doing so).

Kevin

[1] Manual authority control scripts
https://github.com/ehanson8/archivesspace-api
https://github.com/jhu-archives-and-manuscripts/ASpace_API_Workshop