[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Request for community input: ANW-380

Trevor Thornton trthorn2 at ncsu.edu
Thu Jun 14 16:56:31 EDT 2018

I think the new model makes sense, but the migration will be onerous for a
lot of people depending on the state of their existing data. Alex Duryee at
NYPL (I think he's still there) published some Ruby code (which I also
contributed to during my time there) that could be useful in the migration
process:
https://github.com/alexduryee/timetwister
He also ported it into an AS plugin:
https://github.com/alexduryee/timewalk

It parses date expressions into one or more normalized dates based on regex
patterns and corresponding rules for parsing each pattern. I ran an earlier
version of it over a fairly large corpus for dates from NYPL archival
collections with very good results, and it's been improved upon since then.

On Thu, Jun 14, 2018 at 2:49 PM, Cory Nimer <cory_nimer at byu.edu> wrote:

> Colleagues,
>

> The Development Prioritization Team is seeking community input on a
> feature request for revisions to the Date subrecord in ArchivesSpace
> (ANW-380; https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-380). The Date
> subrecord is used in multiple ArchivesSpace modules, including those for
> Accession, Resource, and Digital Object records. Changes to the Date
> subrecord to support the EAC-CPF <dateRange> model were previously included
> in the Agents revision project specifications (ANW-429;
> https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-429), and the new model
> would support either EAD2002/EAD3 <unitdate> or EAD3 <unitdatestructured>
> exports.
>

> The primary change planned is the separation of begin and end date
> expressions in the application. For example, currently a single date
> expression is used with separate normalized begin and end date entries for
> date spans:
>

> *Date subrecord*
>
> Date Expression: circa 1950-1960
>

> Begin: 1950
>
> End: 1960
>
> Certainty: Approximate
>

> The revised model would include a separate date expression field entry for
> each part of the date span:
>

> *Date subrecord*
>
> Begin Date Expression: circa 1950
>

> Begin Date Standardized: 1950
>

> End Date Expression: 1960
>

> End Date Standardized: 1960
>

> Certainty: Approximate
>

> The concern has been raised that institutions may not have sufficiently
> consistent data entry practices to allow a single migration script to parse
> existing Date Expression values into separate Begin and End date expression
> fields. One proposed path has been to move the entire existing Date
> Expression value to the new Begin Date Expression, while moving the
> normalized dates to their appropriate standardized value fields. This would
> appear as:
>

> *Date subrecord*
>
> Begin Date Expression: circa 1950-1960
>

> Begin Date Standardized: 1950
>

> End Date Expression:
>

> End Date Standardized: 1960
>

> Certainty: Approximate
>

> The Development Prioritization Team would like to obtain feedback from the
> community regarding preferences for migrating existing Date subrecord
> content, or other concerns. Comments may be submitted through JIRA on the
> ticket for ANW-380 (https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-380).
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Cory Nimer
>
> University Archivist
>
> Brigham Young University
>
> 801-422-6091

Trevor Thornton
Applications Developer, Digital Library Initiatives
North Carolina State University Libraries