[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Customizing generated citations for archival components

Alexander Duryee alexanderduryee at nypl.org
Mon Jul 30 15:30:13 EDT 2018

Lydia,

Modifying the citation generation will require overriding/extending the
current Archival Object data model (
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/public/app/models/archival_object.rb#L33)
- the .yml files aren't what control citation generation.  The quick way to
do so would be to create a plugin (in
plugins/[plugin-name]/public/model/archival_object.rb) that overrides the
cite function, and adding the plugin to your config/config.rb file's
AppConfig[:plugins] line.  It sounds like what you're trying to do should
be straightforward, although you may have to get into the weeds of the JSON
models to find the data that you need.

Hope this helps,
--Alex

On Mon, Jul 30, 2018 at 12:58 PM, Tang, Lydia <ltang5 at lib.msu.edu> wrote:

> Hi all,
> My repository would like to tweak the data fields and the formatting of
> the fully generated citations. Does anyone know how to do that? I assume it
> would be in an en.yml file, but apparently there are three en.yml files and
> my IT person is not sure where to look. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated! Full description of our issue below:
>
> Current behavior on a sample citation:
> Brooks, Marshall. Harry Smith, An Appreciation, 1936-2012<tel:1936-2012>.
> The Smith collection, . Michigan State University Libraries Special
> Collections. http://as.lib.msu.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/24677
> Accessed July 11, 2018<calendar:T2:July%2011,%202018>.
>
> A translation of the data fields:
> [File title]. [Collection Title], . [Repository]. [Archival Object URI]
> [Date accessed]
>
> What we’d like instead is added and bolded:
> [Archival Object title], [Instance Information (Box/Folder number)],
> [Collection title], [Collection identifier (such as MSS 212)],
> [Repository]. [Archival Object URI] [Date accessed]
> Ideally,  we'd also like the citation to be formatted with commas instead
> of periods as well.
> Also, what are other ways repositories have editing their en.yml files?
> We're just getting started in customizing and I wanted to get some ideas.
> Thanks all!
> Lydia

Alexander Duryee
Metadata Archivist