[Archivesspace_Users_Group] questions about the documentation for Archon migrations

Doug Simmons dsimmons at siu.edu
Thu Jul 19 10:37:49 EDT 2018

I am questioning whether a query given in the documentation may lead to misleading results. I am following the troubleshooting steps in the Archon migration documentation fro:

https://archivesspace.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Archon-to-ArchivesSpace-Migration-Tool-Instructions.pdf

I understand why multiple collection records cannot share the same CollectionID, ParentID and SortOrder.

You can't have two items in a list both occupying position 2, for example.

However, I don't think there is anything contradictory about having multiple records with ParentID of 0 all sharing the same sort order, as long as their CollectionID's are different.

Page 5, sections c/d of the documentations says:

"c.
Optionally, if the migration fails, check for ‘duplicate’ collection content records.
‘Duplicate’ records are those that occupy the same node in the collection/content
hiearchy.  To check for these records, run the following query in mysql or sql server.
SELECT ParentID, SortOrder, count (*) from tblCollections_Content Group by
ParentID, SortOrder HAVING count(*) > 1;

d.
The query above checks for records that occupy the same branch and same position in
the content hierarchy.  If you discover such records, the sort order value of one of the
records must be changed, so that both records occupy a unique position. "

As an aside, the first instance of Count(*) has an extraneous space which will prevent the query from running.

An example result row from running this query on our Archon database yields:
ParentID SortOrder count(*)
0               30              3

When I examine these three records, they all have unique CollectionID's. I believe this is only telling me that there are three top-level collections which each possess a child record occupying SortOrder 30. Since these records would never appear in the same finding aid listing, I don't see this as problematic.

Should the query include CollectionID in order to find those records which really do share the same SortOrder position within the same collection? Or, do I misunderstand the results I am getting?

thanks,

DOUG SIMMONS

Assistant Manager, Morris Library Systems

MORRIS LIBRARY

MAIL CODE 6632

SOUTHERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY

605 AGRICULTURE DRIVE