[Archivesspace_Users_Group] available now: beta version of ArchivesSpace Data Dictionary

Laney McGlohon laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org
Wed Jan 31 10:33:08 EST 2018

Following on from a discussion on the Users Group in late November, we’re pleased to announce the availability of a beta version of a data dictionary for ArchivesSpace. You can access it at https://desolate-tundra-60608.herokuapp.com/. (Once it’s formally released it will move to a more permanent location and URL.)

The ArchivesSpace Data Dictionary provides a simple mechanism to browse or search for information about the data elements in the ArchivesSpace database schema. It can be used to determine where data is stored in the ArchivesSpace database along with how the data is displayed in the staff and public user interfaces. We expect it will be helpful for a variety of purposes, including writing reports, working with the ArchivesSpace API, and writing code for the ArchivesSpace application.

We’ve started simply, but anticipate adding additional data points and functionality over time, including:

  *   Adding crosswalk information for the following metadata standards:
     *   EAD
     *   MARC
     *   MODS
     *   DC
  *   Highlighting results in context
  *   Sort capability from column headings
  *   Ability to search specific fields
  *   Exporting of search results

This data dictionary would not have been possible without the efforts of the User Advisory Council’s Reports sub-team (https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/AC/pages/103258126/Reports+2017-2018), especially past member Nancy Enneking, who worked closely with me to gather the content and guide the design.

This is a beta release and we welcome feedback and ideas or pull requests for improvements. You can get in touch by emailing me (laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org>) or submitting an issue or pull request to the GitHub repository (https://github.com/lmcglohon/data-dictionary).

Best,
Laney

Laney McGlohon
ArchivesSpace Tech Lead