[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Do you agree it's important to be able to customize URLs/create PURLs in the PUI?

Celia Caust-Ellenbogen ccauste1 at swarthmore.edu
Sat Jan 27 12:31:49 EST 2018

Hi everyone,

As part of migrating to the ArchivesSpace public interface, we have to
update a lot of links to old EAD finding aids. This has me thinking about
the persistence of URLs and not only the trouble of updating old links but
what will happen when (hopefully never!) we move out of ArchivesSpace. That
the URLs in the public interface are arbitrary poses a problem. My sysadmin
tells me that if we were able to customize some portion of the URL, it
would be possible to create a URL redirect map. In the absence of that, she
doesn't want to create a million (or, more precisely, about 4,000)
individual redirects. If we could customize some portion of the URL, that
would let us set up redirects from the old system, and it would also
position us to anticipate being able to set up redirects going into a new
system and therefore have somewhat persistent URLs.

That's my understanding, at least. I don't have a firm grasp of these
issues so I might be making false assumptions.

I'm wondering if other folks have been thinking about this issue. How are
you approaching the problem? Do you have a strategy for this? Can anyone
with a better understanding of ASpace's code and/or development priorities
speculate on the likelihood that the option to customize the URL for the
public interface might be added to a future release?

AR-1558 <https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1558> seems the most
relevant ticket, and it's pretty old (v.1.4.2). If other people agree this
is important, would you please upvote it, and hopefully increase the
chances it'll get on the development roadmap?

Thanks!
Celia

--
Celia Caust-Ellenbogen
Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
ccauste1 at swarthmore.edu
she/her/hers