[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Staff users/agents as subjects/creators

Jordon Steele jsteele at jhu.edu
Thu Jan 4 20:18:21 EST 2018

Olivia,

Yes, we do use URIs for our agent records, and, like you, they are sourced from VIAF.

We separate user accounts from agent records. A user account is for someone to edit or view ASpace data. An agent record is reserved to document creators or subjects of collections or staff involved in collection-related activities. We’ve discussed and decided not to create and manage agent records for roles related to collection management activities such as processing or updating records; those names just appear as free text in processing notes (or in the audit trail of the ASpace record, which shows the last username to edit a given record). We generally only create agent records for staff to document curatorial activities like acquisition and deaccessioning.

So there could indeed be a scenario where we have an agent record for a staff member and a separate user account for that staff member, which we’ve decided we can live with, especially because agent records are managed in a module separate from user accounts. It’s a similar situation to a library catalog’s authority file, where a staff member may be listed because he or she happened to, like, author a book that the library owns, but that staff member may also have logins managed separately to access library applications. But I understand the gray area—we’ve just decided to accept it.

Hope that helps!

Best,

Jordon

Jordon Steele
Hodson Curator of the University Archives
Special Collections
The Sheridan Libraries
Johns Hopkins University
3400 N Charles St