[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Top Containers and Item Level Descriptions

Harmeyer, Neal A harmeyna at purdue.edu
Wed Jan 3 16:48:01 EST 2018

Hi Lydia,

We do something similar to what Angela has described and you noted in your message. We have numerous shared containers, and our solution to avoid any confusion is to place a "Communal" descriptor in the Indicator for the container AND its use designation, e.g. Communal Collections, Communal Accessions. We then assign a sequential number in the indicator field as well, so we end up with Communal Collections 1, Communal Collections 2, and so on.

Using the Manage Top Containers, we keep track of the next available sequential number to be used for a communal container. A search in the Manage Top Containers keyword field with "Communal Collections" for example, only brings up those containers we've designated as communal containers for collections. We use a combination of the notes field in the Top Container and a specific location in our repository to keep track of those communal containers that still have space, are full, or are used only for restricted materials.

We have also developed a system for tracking the placements of materials within communal containers. Thus far, it's all working quite nicely.

Cheers,
Neal
--
Neal Harmeyer