[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Data cleanup

Olivia S Solis livsolis at utexas.edu
Tue Feb 13 09:25:56 EST 2018

Hi there,

Yes it is definitely possible to use OpenRefine to migrate data into the
system. It's my primary tool for our data migration. One of the nice things
about OpenRefine is its Templating export option. I was inspired by an
extremely helpful University of Maryland Chaos to Order post:
https://icantiemyownshoes.wordpress.com/2015/11/20/how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-api/

That is how we've been creating records and we have developed a number of
templates to export the JSON. There are a few differences in our process.
For instance, the bash script didn't like spaces in content, so we added a
line
IFS=$|

and all of my templates end in a pipe.

To update records, we were inspired by a Duke Python script:
https://github.com/duke-libraries/archivesspace-duke-scripts/blob/master/python/duke_archival_object_metadata_adder.py
https://blogs.library.duke.edu/bitstreams/2016/09/21/archivesspace-api-fun/
as described in the blog post above.

So for instance, we migrated our EAD by using BaseX to extract elements. I
created minimal resource records and incrementally added notes.

The process is somewhat laid out in the slides I made for a presentation:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1cBrd8qzHK4i8S6SQ_vDlScERixX95lAbE__hd48yIDg/edit?usp=sharing

Hopefully, this helps.

-Olivia

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Joan Curbow <CurbowJ at bvu.edu> wrote:

> We are a new archives, so we have not had to import any existing data.
> Lucky us, right? But I’m all-too-human, and I’d now like to do some data
> cleanup. Is it possible to do data cleanup using OpenRefine? Theoretically,
> it seems possible to export “stuff” and pull it into OpenRefine, but I’ve
> only ever used OpenRefine in a classroom situation, where the data was
> already populated for us. We did not import the data back into an existing
> database, either, so my experience is limited to just the mechanics of
> OpenRefine. Has anyone used OpenRefine in a real-world situation with data
> that’s already in Aspace? Or is there a better method for data cleanup?
>

> A further question/complication is that I’m a lone arranger, and my
> instance is hosted by Libraryhost, so any data cleanup may have to be done
> by them? My tech skills are rudimentary, so I’m not clear just how I could
> get this to work. I asked them once, but didn’t get a real answer.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> *Joan Curbow*
>
> Reference Librarian and Archivist
>
> Buena Vista University Library
>
> Buena Vista University
>
> 610 West Fourth Street
>
> Storm Lake, Iowa  50588
>
> 712.749.2094 <(712)%20749-2094>
>
> www.library.bvu.edu​​

Olivia Solis, MSIS
Metadata Coordinator
Dolph Briscoe Center for American History
The University of Texas at Austin
2300 Red River St. Stop D1100
Austin TX, 78712-1426