[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - December 2018

Christine Kim Christine.Kim at lyrasis.org
Thu Dec 20 17:11:44 EST 2018

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

December 2018 Update

Thank you all for an incredible year! It's been a wonderful year full of community activities, developments, and projects. We really appreciate all the community support and energy that goes toward continuously improving ArchivesSpace!

Development

The ArchivesSpace team is pleased to announce a release candidate, v2.5.2-RC1. You can download it at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v2.5.2-RC1 or test it out without downloading at http://test.archivesspace.org/staff  (username admin /password admin). We do encourage you to download and try it out with your own local setup and/or data if you can for the most accurate results.

This release candidate contains program-led and community pull requests that provide feature enhancements, bug fixes, infrastructure improvements, and documentation updates. A focus is continuing to improve accessibility of the public and staff interfaces. The release candidate also includes an enhanced agent merge function and more options for configuring OAI-PMH harvesting.

Thanks to the community members who made contributions to this release, including both individual archives staff and developers, as well as our Development Prioritization sub-team, Technical Documentation sub-team, and Core Committers Group.

Recognizing that many people will be spending less time with their ArchivesSpaces for a bit, we'll be taking feedback on this release candidate through Friday, January 4. Please let us know at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> if you notice any problems with the specific areas addressed in this release, or if anything that was working before no longer is. Barring major issues, we expect to release v2.5.2 in early January.

ArchivesSpace is always interested in more development help. Depending on your interest and availability, we have lots of suggestions for projects small and big that developers and tech-savvy archivists of all experience levels could help with to make ArchivesSpace better for everyone. If you're interested in writing code and helping with ArchivesSpace development, or if you know someone who might be, please contact Program Manager Christine Di Bella (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) or Tech Lead Laney McGlohon (laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org>) for more details.

Survey for a New ASpace Listserv

We love all the activity on our ASpace Users Group Listserv<http://lyralists.lyrasis.org/mailman/listinfo/archivesspace_users_group>, but we have received suggestions from a number of you that perhaps it is time to investigate adding a new listserv to our community to reflect the diversity in our concerns and discussions. The Users Group listserv has grown to become an incredible space to share and help troubleshoot technical knowledge and issues, but we've heard feedback from some ArchivesSpace members that it can be difficult to follow these discussions or post about less technical concerns.

Before we dive into adding another channel for people to connect, we'd like to explore your communication needs and how conversations on a new listserv might be distinct from the current ASpace Users Group Listserv. We have created a short survey<https://goo.gl/forms/OYLYNqMeRtkXYBVN2> to collect your suggestions and feedback, and invite you to share any thoughts you have to help clarify the purpose and parameters for potentially setting up a new listserv.

We really look forward to hearing your ideas. Please submit your survey response<https://goo.gl/forms/OYLYNqMeRtkXYBVN2> by January 15th. We appreciate your help!

Community Member Resources

New Community Resources on the Wiki

We have created a few pages on the wiki to make it easy to upload and share some of your internal workflow trackers. Wiki pages to share Accessioning Checklists<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/801701922/Accessions+checklists>, Processing Checklists<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/801701939/Processing+checklists>, and Data Maps<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/801800217/Data+maps> are now available. We encourage you to share any documentation that can provide insight on the varied workflows and practices across our community. Wiki login is required to upload files (though login is not required to access shared files).

ArchivesSpace Member Directory - Updated digital copy distributed to member reps

We have distributed an updated digital copy of our Member Directory this week! The information was collected through submissions from members and compiled to share information about how you are using ArchivesSpace, and any implementation or integration projects you are planning for the future. This directory was sent out to all ArchivesSpace Member Representatives.

Would you like to add or update information about your organization to the directory? The submission form is available here: https://tinyurl.com/aspace-directory. Most questions are optional. The information collected will be shared only with ArchivesSpace members. Aside from publicly available information about institutions like names and locations, information about the use of ArchivesSpace will be shared only for those who consent to have it included.

ArchivesSpace Implementation Buddies - Updated digital copy distributed to buddy participants

The ASpace Implementation Buddy program is in full swing! A digital listing of all interested implementation buddies has been distributed through email to all individuals who have submitted their interest through the Implementation Buddy sign-up sheet<https://tinyurl.com/aspace-buddy>.

Interested in learning more about the buddy program before you sign up? Visit our ASpace Buddies info page<http://archivesspace.org/community/aspace-buddies> to get started.

Please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> if you have any questions about any of our community resources.

ArchivesSpace Forum Updates

We wrapped up our Fall Regional Forum, and we are excited to start planning our program for an online forum for the Winter season. Here are some of the most relevant news, dates, and links to keep you up to date on all the activity!

Upcoming: ArchivesSpace Online Forum: Winter (March/April) 2019

The ASpace Online Forum Working group had its first meeting on December 14th. This group is tasked with identifying clear goals and objectives for our inaugural online forum, as well as shaping the program content for our active and diverse community. Please feel free to follow our progress on this wiki program page<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/802488342/ArchivesSpace+Online+Forum>.

Our group is represented by community members across all membership sizes, as well as international (non-US) members. We are excited for this opportunity to explore new ways for our community can collaborate, communicate, and engage together!

Past: Kansas City Regional Forum: November 30, 2018

Thank you to all who participated at the Kansas City Regional Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/728662017/Kansas+City+Regional+Forum+-+November+2018>! Slides, notes, and program information is available on the wiki.

[https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/AXiqJhUgR22vFskoXhcqs7mrdSsj22kr0XJV1je4TxgJcWkCSSs6ELfyVmoUB5JgHOYrHD947imRVwBEqn92LUWm3KgL6-zBrzuwqeMfCAvRh6Rq2vnEaoZvp1snbwHt1QUvV72H]

If you have any questions (or ideas) related to the forums, feel free to email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>.

The regional forums are opportunities for our diverse ArchivesSpace members to meet up more locally to share and learn from each other through workshops, focused discussion sessions, and presentations. We look forward to having the content shaped by our community.

New Stories on the Blog

In User Insights (http://archivesspace.org/archives/category/user-insights), Kelly Spring (Access Archivist, East Carolina University) provides an update in the blog series "Arrr-chivesSpace Migration" to provide insight into the migration process at ECU. Follow along throughout their two-year journey!

We would love to include your ArchivesSpace stories on the blog! If you would like to contribute, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>.

Update on Community Engagement Coordinator

The search for a new Community Engagement Coordinator is well underway and we're delighted to have a great pool of applicants. We expect to hire someone in the first months of the new year.

Christine Kim's last day with ArchivesSpace will be January 2. Please contact us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> during the interim period between Christine's departure and the arrival of a new Community Engagement Coordinator. You can also contact contact Christine Di Bella (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) directly with questions about any areas like training and events for which Christine Kim has been primarily responsible.

Happy Holidays!

Thank you for your continued support of ArchivesSpace! We really appreciate all you do to shape ArchivesSpace so that we are always growing and learning, both as an application as well as a community. This has been a wonderful year of exciting developments, and we look forward to accomplishing even more together in the next.

Our office will be closed from December 24 to January 1. Normal office hours will resume on January 2nd. Hope you all have a warm and happy holidays!

[https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/gHFGddnquQ3CNdW0mnvgloO94WCCfYctbXj2j38kjkHLJrcvui_Iz3l8ge6BdgGWH5IZHCYlDWuM6rW-3G1t-oNDCyUK55VFdQcB2tWWub8so66A0naxzY1H1eiCDolWqaPCtUID]

Membership Update

We are excited to welcome our newest members to our community! Our new members since November 19 include:

  *   Temple University (Philadelphia, PA)
  *   U.S. Naval War College (Newport, RI)

As of December 20, we have 367 General members, 19 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools Section listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.