[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Barcoding boxes and shelves in ArchivesSpace

Ben Goldman bmg17 at psu.edu
Wed Apr 18 09:36:08 EDT 2018

Hi Everyone,

Jordon's thoughts below are really helpful, and I 'd be interested in hearing more about different institutional approaches to managing locations in ASpace, generally. At Penn State we are currently in the process of bringing online a new offsite storage facility for Special Collections, and are ultimately looking at moving 20,000+ containers to this new facility (starting this Fall). While we've traditionally managed locations (as well as containers) through our ILS (Sirsi), we're also looking at how to better leverage ASpace features as part of this shift. I would be pleased to hear from anyone (on- or off-list) who can share their experiences around similar considerations.

Best Regards,
Ben

Ben Goldman
Archivist for Digital Content & Strategies
Sally W. Kalin Early Career Librarian for Technological Innovations
Penn State University Libraries

Throughout 2018, the Eberly Family Special Collections Library will be conducting extensive collections maintenance to better serve our patrons and ensure the preservation of our materials. Researchers may experience intermittent interruptions in open hours; collections may be under review and access may be limited; and researchers may encounter longer wait times for replies and photoduplication orders. As much as possible, these disruptions to usual services will be announced in advance. Thank you for your flexibility and patience we work on this collections maintenance endeavor.