[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Lingo Cheat Sheet?

Kari R Smith smithkr at mit.edu
Mon Apr 9 12:57:03 EDT 2018

As others have said, examples are helpful, especially when you are moving from producing Finding Aids (as in a document with specific formatting) to having to put metadata of various types into a data model driven database that can then produce a variety of output, including a formatted Finding Aid.

Have people use the ToolTips (roll-over text) that explains what should go into any given data field – and make access to the online documentation easy for all staff using ASpace. A particular challenge at this stage in the AS application development is that the rendering on the staff side isn’t what is expected and so the desire to put data into the incorrect fields (but fields that render on the screen) is great.

I find that using the VRA Core metadata model is helpful for illustrating the ArchivesSpace models of the Resource, Instances, Archival Objects, Containers, etc.   I think especially for the Instances, this model is useful.

We have collections where we might have 4 or 5 instance of the same Archival Object and I believe that it’s useful to understand that the Archival Object is the intellectual idea of an object … the instance is the physical manifestation of that Intellectual idea, and the containers are where those instances are located.  Multiple instances can be linked at the top (Resource) level of a record or at an Archival object level – all depends on your collections.  But what is allows for is not having to have a separate Archival Object for each physical TYPE of thing, just one Archival Object that has many instances.

For an example:

Resource = Collection of My Best Audio Recordings (1976-1988)

Linked Accession =  Today I received 5 reel to reel tapes of recordings
Linked Accession = last month I received 5 CD-ROMs from reformatting of reels

Archival Object = My favorite performance done using a Theremin
(1) Instance = Reel to Reel recording
               Container – Box 1 with barcode #######
Location = Cold Storage
(2) Instance = CD-ROM with recording from the reel to reel
               Container Box 5 with barcode #######
               Location = storage area A, bay 5, shelf 2
(3) Instance = digital files (pulled from the CD-ROM)
               Container = Theremin_recordings.zip    (BagIt package of digital files)
               Location = Digital Preservation Storage; Collection_MBAR; Accession_#####
&

Digital Object = MP3 file of the recording that I put online for Web access.
               Location - Webserver

Kari R. Smith
Institute Archivist and Program Head, Digital Archives
Institute Archives & Special Collections, MIT Libraries
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02139