[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Lingo Cheat Sheet?

Olivia S Solis livsolis at utexas.edu
Fri Apr 6 17:03:32 EDT 2018

Hi all,

I always seem to post on Friday afternoons.

Throwing this out to the group because training is of immediate and scary
concern. One of the things that I am acutely aware of is that our staff is
going to have to get used to new terminology and fast to be able to use
ASpace. Lingo is going to be a big barrier to access.

What have been some of your conceptual/terminology roadblocks in terms of
staff training?

Things I know I will have to explain as new terminology/conceptual
reframing are included as headers below. I'm laying my work bare here, but
I'm thinking that the crowdsourcing could be useful here. We've got people
at varied levels of technical proficiency. I was thinking of an informal
cheat sheet.

Did you make a cheat sheet for ASpace lingo for staff training? Am I not
including some conceptual leaps here? Did you have ASpace terminology you
had to explain in multiple ways?

Thanks,
Olivia

*Agent RecordA record type for a person, family, corporation, or software.
A major record type in ASpace that can link to Accession Records, Resource
Records, Archival Object Records, and Event Records in various roles, most
often as subjects and creators. Every distinct agent has one and only one
record.Archival Object Record[NOTE we're not using ASpace for digital
objects]A record type for an item in an inventory. If are familiar with
EAD, this corresponds to a <c##> level. If not, think of this as a tabbed
level of an inventory. ChildArchivesSpace thinks of hierarchical
relationships as "parent"/"child". A parent could be the <c01> to a child
<c02>, though ASpace would never frame it in terms of specific numbered
component levels. A parent could also be the box that a child
reel/folder/box within the parent boxClassificationsContainer
ProfileBasically, the type and dimensions of a container. Container
profiles are consecutively numbered by type. For a description of container
types see [this link]. For specs/pictures of different container types, see
[this link].Event RecordIn DBCAH's implementation, Event Records document
specific steps taken in archival processing, most comprehensively in
Accession Records (e.g. Deeds of Gift sent or received). Event Records are
bound to specific dates.InstanceIndicatorLocation ProfileNote
(resources)ParentResource RecordEssentially a finding aid plus some
additional collection management information.Space Calculator*

--
Olivia Solis, MSIS
Metadata Coordinator