[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Classifications

Kennedy, Nancy KennedyN at si.edu
Fri Sep 15 16:52:51 EDT 2017

All -
How are you using classifications at your institutions?  In particular, can anyone speak to the nested 'child' classifications? I've been looking at the feature in our test installations, but am interested to see if anyone is using this out in the wild.  What's the purpose of nested child classifications, given that it seems I can only attach a resource/accession/digital object to the top parent classification term?

I see AR-1884<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1884> suggesting that classifications be available across multiple repositories. I can see some benefit there, though so far, most of my users have seemed to prefer the idea that classifications would be repo specific. We haven't adopted classifications yet, but if it looks like they would become global, I'd like to get more details sooner than later.

Thanks!

Nancy Kennedy
Smithsonian Institution
kennedyn at si.edu