[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Migrating and maintaining item-level records in ILS and/or ASpace

Bowers, Kate A. kate_bowers at harvard.edu
Fri Sep 15 11:17:31 EDT 2017

We also (rarely) provide MARC analytical records (single-level MARC descriptions for collection components) for items held within a collection when that collection is also represented in MARC with a collection-level record.  This is done chiefly in response to a public services request for more prominent discoverability in the online catalog for selected items.  Often, these items have fine-tuned subjects and authors that apply only to the component and not to the collection as a whole.

Due to the rarity of the situation, my instinct is that Option 2 (in-context multi-level description of these items maintained in  AS with additional single-level MARC descriptive records maintained in the ILS) is the currently workable solution.  .  In essence, this means there are two “databases of record,” which is clearly problematic, but seems workable at the low levels we have for MARC records like this.  (Our item-level image descriptions are another story.)

However I have some follow-up questions – and I’m hoping you are doing something brilliant

So, my questions—sorry I have so many!

1)      How rare is this situation for you?

2)      When you write “migration” do you mean that you will maintain all metadata in AS and not maintain data in the ILS at all? Will your “complex methods” mean that you can maintain data in the ILS and ingest it to AS, or do you think you can get good MARC from AS?  What would you do about things like alterative title tracings that are not possible in AS at all?

3)      Do you agree that AS often cannot parse data finely enough to produce MARC that meets the expectations of an ILS or of OCLC or takes advantage of a discovery layer’s faceting based on MARC subfield codes?   Is that OK in your institution?

4)      Do you use automated authority processing in your ILS? These and other scripted updates change our MARC records without specific alerts to us (so many I would not want to get such alerts!).  If AS is your database of record, won’t these updates to MARC be lost, and do you care if they are?

5)      For us, the most common example of an item-level description in an alternate system is not items in our ILS, but rather digitized images that are described both in SharedShelf and in a finding aid. I am hopeful that someday I will be able to use AS as the database of record for all of our in-collection item-level image descriptions in AS only while sharing them with SharedShelf automatically send updates from AS to SharedShelf.  Do you also have this situation?

Thanks for focusing on this issue. It is fascinating and thorny!

Kate