[Archivesspace_Users_Group] availability of LOC dataset; "MARC Open Access"

Monique Sugimoto msugimoto at pvld.org
Thu May 25 12:39:18 EDT 2017

Hello,

Library of Congress is making bibliographic records available for free.
This includes Name and Subject authorities.

See: http://www.loc.gov/cds/products/marcDist.php

I understand there is interest in improving the efficiency of the
functionality of the LCSH/LCNAF imports. All full import of all the
headings would surely create a lot of overhead with many potentially unused
headings, but might data assist in efforts to improve the import function
of subject headings?  As I told Christine, as a data geek, I'm thrilled to
have this new data - just not sure how in practical terms to use it.

Thoughts?

Monique -

Monique Leahey Sugimoto
Archivist & Adult Services Librarian