[Archivesspace_Users_Group] another question on rights statements in ArchivesSpace - agents and rights statements

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Wed May 24 15:12:06 EDT 2017

Hello members,

I have another question related to the upcoming enhancement of the rights statements sub-record in ArchivesSpace. Is anyone creating rights statements attached to agents?

Currently the application allows you to create a rights statement sub-record from an Agent record. This could be interpreted as being the rights for the agent him/her/themselves, rather than for specific material. We believe this may have been done in error. There has been a longstanding feature request to enable someone to see a list of the materials for which a particular agent holds rights, but not allow a rights sub-record to be created for an agent: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1297

The new model will allow for agents to be linked from rights statements attached to accessions, resources, or digital objects. (See https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/ANW-112) In addition to being PREMIS-compliant, we think this may also have been the original intent.

But I'm interested to hear if and how people have used the capability to create a rights statement for an agent in ArchivesSpace. If you could no longer create a rights statement for an agent, would this cause a problem?

Thanks for any input, positive or negative!
Christine

Christine Di Bella
ArchivesSpace Program Manager
christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>