[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Former users and data loss

Olivia S Solis livsolis at utexas.edu
Tue Mar 7 19:02:07 EST 2017

Hello all,

The Briscoe Center is in the process of adopting ArchivesSpace and has been
testing it out in a sandbox. We took note of a potential problem in the
future regarding hypothetical former employees who may have been ASpace
users at one point. Presumably, we would delete them after they moved on to
other work. I wanted to see what a user's trail might look like after
he/she were deleted from the system, so I created an appraisal event with a
user (my dog Chicken) as the authorizer.

The results are mixed. While in some fields it looks like the data is
retained, in some fields it is not. For instance:

   - In the Events Browser, the former employee/user appears as the
   authorizer and record creator
   - Within the event itself, the agent link is blank
   - In the resource record the event is linked to, the agent links field
   is empty, but the created and Last modified fields list the now deleted user

Before you delete an agent record, ArchivesSpace does warn you that you
will lose all references to it in the database, including references to it
in other records. How have some of you anticipated handling this situation?
Leave former employees in the system and change their passwords? Is there a
workaround for some of the loss of data or am I missing an obvious solution
to this?

Thanks!
Olivia

--