[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - March 2017

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Mon Mar 6 12:21:30 EST 2017

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

March 2017 Update

Development

The ArchivesSpace team was pleased to release version 1.5.3 on February 15.  This minor release has some bug fixes, including a fix for the issue with resource components being exported in EAD in a different order from how they appear in the staff interface (https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1620), as well as improvements to overall performance. It features work from our development partner, Hudson Molonglo (HM), as well as code contributions from community members Mark Cooper, Steve Majewski, Chris Fitzpatrick, Jason Loeffler, and Michael Bond. Thanks to all who contributed, participated in testing and provided the feedback that led to these improvements!

You can download the new release from Github at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v1.5.3. The release page<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v1.5.3> has a listing of all the new features and bug fixes included in this release.

Big thanks as always to Mark Cooper, Blake Carver, and the other staff of LYRASIS' Digital Technology Services for their testing and technical support. We were also pleased to celebrate the first regular release managed by ArchivesSpace's new Tech Lead, Laney McGlohon.

The next release of ArchivesSpace will reflect significant improvements in the underlying technology for the application, including upgrades to Rails 5 and JRuby 9.1.x. It will also feature the beta of the new public interface. To reflect the significance of these changes, the next version will be numbered 2.0.0. If you are looking ahead and thinking about IT resources needed for the 2.0.0 upgrade, please keep in mind that these changes will affect plugins and some local modifications. We'll provide more guidance about how to adapt your plugins and modifications as we get closer to the final release. Also, this upgrade will require a complete re-index of your database. More information about 2.0.0 will be shared as the month progresses and we will be holding a webinar close to the time of the release that highlights the changes from a user and technological standpoint.

Save the Date

The 2017 ArchivesSpace Member Forum will be held on Tuesday, July 25, at Portland State University. This event is open to all staff from ArchivesSpace member institutions and will feature a variety of opportunities to learn and share about all things ArchivesSpace. We are currently assembling the planning group and will be posting a call for sessions very soon. If you'd like to volunteer for either, please email Christine Di Bella at christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>.

Membership Update

Our new members since February 1 include:

*         Georgia State University

*         Point No Point Treaty Council (Poulsbo, Washington)

*         Southeast Missouri State University

*         St. Edward's University (Austin, Texas)

*         Tacoma Community College

*         University of Vermont

The School of Information and Library Science at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill also joined us as an Educational Program member.

As of March 6, we have 321 General members, 12 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

Connect with ArchivesSpace in Person

Tech Lead Laney McGlohon will be participating in a number of activities at Code4Lib in Los Angeles from March 6-9. She'll be speaking on a panel with representatives from Archivematica and Hydra-in-a-Box on March 7, and staffing an exhibitor table during the conference breaks and in between sessions. Later in the month Laney will be back in the West Coast at LDCX, an unconference held at Stanford University, from March 27-29. She'd love to chat with you about your ideas and experience with ArchivesSpace, especially if you'd like to get involved in development. Please email Laney at laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org> or catch her in person if you'd like to meet up.

Program Manager Christine Di Bella, as well as Madeline Sheldon from LYRASIS' Digital Technology Services, will be at the New England Archivists spring meeting in Hyannis, Massachusetts, from March 24-25. Stop by our exhibitor tables to check in about the ArchivesSpace application, membership, and hosting services.

We'll also be represented at the Society of North Carolina Archivists annual meeting in Asheville, North Carolina, where ArchivesSpace instructor Noah Huffman will be teaching a one-day Introduction to ArchivesSpace workshop on March 15. If you're interested in hosting an ArchivesSpace workshop at your local or regional archives group meeting, please get in touch with Christine about possibilities.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools roundtable listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.