[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Intermittent Outages

Trevor Thornton trthorn2 at ncsu.edu
Tue Feb 28 13:13:50 EST 2017

I have some tasks that make multiple API calls and recently I've noticed
that the session will sometimes get dropped (API returns 412 response with
a message saying that the token is invalid) after only a few minutes
(should remain valid for 60 minutes). I think it started happening when we
upgraded from 1.4.x to 1.5.1, and it doesn't happen all the time, but I
don't know why it happens when it does.

We've also had cases where AS becomes unresponsive. When this has happened
I would usually just restart it, so I don't know if it would have come back
online if I waited long enough.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 12:27 PM, Alexander Duryee <alexanderduryee at nypl.org
> wrote:

> Our production instance of ASpace has been suffering from intermittent
> outages for the past few weeks.  Roughly once or twice a day, the
> application will go down for 1-5 minutes, then bring itself back up.
> Perplexingly, this doesn't seem to impact the backend - for example, the
> application went down during a reindex, but the reindex continued (and was
> logged) during the outage.  However, API requests are dropped and the
> frontend is inaccessible during the outage.
>
> We haven't identified a cause for the outages (e.g. heavy traffic, lots of
> database calls), as there's no consistent pattern.  There's nothing in
> archivesspace.out to indicate any troubles.
>
> Has anyone else experienced similar issues?  Is there another log that we
> could refer to (e.g. ASpace's Apache instance) to diagnose the outages?
>
> Thanks!
> --Alex
>
> --
> Alexander Duryee
> Metadata Archivist
> New York Public Library
> (917)-229-9590 <(917)%20229-9590>
> alexanderduryee at nypl.org

Trevor Thornton
Applications Developer, Digital Library Initiatives
North Carolina State University Libraries