[Archivesspace_Users_Group] copyright/licensing statements in finding aids

Maureen Callahan mcallahan at smith.edu
Wed Feb 15 19:02:45 EST 2017

I just wanted to say that I'm so glad that you brought this up, and that
TS-DACS has been considering adding this to the content standard for some
time now. In my opinion, there's no meaningful place for this in
ArchivesSpace right now. But since ArchivesSpace (nominally) aligns with
DACS, perhaps the first step might be a change request to DACS to include
an element in archival description to indicate how the description itself
is licensed. From there, EAD and ArchivesSpace could follow. I'd be willing
to work with you to put this together.

All best,
Maureen

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 6:04 PM, Cobourn, Alston <Alston.Cobourn at tamucc.edu>
wrote:

> We would like to apply a Creative Commons license to the resource records
> we create in and finding aids we generate from ArchivesSpace.  Is anyone
> else already doing this, and if so, where are you entering that information
> in ArchivesSpace?
>

> I had originally thought of putting that information somewhere in the
> Finding Aid Data section of Resource records (the Finding Aid Note field
> really would be the only possible place), but the Finding Aid Data section
> info does not show up in the AS public interface, and based on the
> wireframes, it does not appear that will change in the new PUI.  We could
> put it in a General Note labeled something like “Finding Aid Usage” or
> “Finding Aid Rights”, which would show up in the PUI.
>

> Alternately, if you are putting a copyright statement in your finding aids
> generated by AS, where are you entering that information?
>

> It is my understanding that neither EAD2 nor EAD3 have field specifically
> designated for this kind of information.
>

> Sincerely,
>

> Alston Cobourn
>
> Processing and Digital Assets Archivist
>
> Texas A&M-Corpus Christi
>
> Alston.cobourn at tamucc.edu
>
> 361-825-2300 <(361)%20825-2300>

Maureen Callahan
Sophia Smith Collection Archivist
Smith College Special Collections
Northampton, Massachusetts 01063
T. 413 585 2981 C. 215.863.1860
mcallahan at smith.edu

Smith College Special Collections will be closed from June through August
2017 as we move to our interim location and Neilson Library
<http://www.smith.edu/libraries/redesign> begins renovations. Although we
cannot serve researchers onsite during that time, please don't hesitate to
be in touch for remote research assistance.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SophiaSmithCollection/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/smithlibraries/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/archivalagents