[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - August 2017

Christine Kim Christine.Kim at lyrasis.org
Wed Aug 9 15:12:08 EDT 2017

[ASpaceOrgHome.jpg]

August 2017 Update

Member Forum 2017

Thanks to all who participated in the third annual Member Forum! We really enjoyed getting the face-to-face time with our community. A huge thanks to Portland State University for hosting us at the Smith Union Student Center, as well as to our planning group members and the Atlanta-based LYRASIS staff that provided logistical support. We are also grateful to our incredible post-Forum mixer co-hosts, Registered Service Providers Atlas Systems and LYRASIS, and the chance the mixer gave us to enjoy a beautiful view of the Portland skyline. An incredible community effort, thank you all!

Presentations, notes, and selected recordings from the program are available online at  https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2017<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2017>. If you have notes or comments of your own to share, please feel free to add them.

Whether you attended or not, please take a few minutes to fill out the evaluation at https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/JSMR796. We'd love to hear about your experience this year, as well as any suggestions you have for future forums or other ArchivesSpace events.

Governance Board Elections Update

We are pleased to share the results of the elections that were recently conducted to fill vacancies on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board.

  *   Gordon Daines, Special Collections Department Chair at Brigham Young University, has been elected to serve as the representative for Large member institutions.
  *   Peter Carini, College Archivist at Dartmouth College, has been elected to serve as the representative for Medium member institutions.
  *   Nicholas Zmijewski, Archivist at the Industrial Archives and Library in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, has been elected to serve as the representative for Very Small member institutions.

Gordon, Peter, and Nick will serve two-year terms, effective from July 1, 2017, and running through June 30, 2019.

We extend our renewed thanks to outgoing representatives Christian Dupont (Boston College), Jay Gaidmore (College of William & Mary), and Tom Adams (Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory).

We remain grateful to Christian Dupont, Ann Hodges (Texas A&M - Corpus Christi), and Tom Adams for their candidacies this year.

We also want to thank Johna Von Behrens (University of Louisiana Lafayette), Cyndi Shein (UNLV), Mary Saffell (Texas Christian University), Julia Novakovic (The Strong National Museum of Play), and Annie Tummino (SUNY Maritime) for their service on the 2017 Nominating Committee.

The leadership needs of our community-based, community-driven organization are ongoing, and so the contributions of all members, including those of you who voted as voting representatives for your member institutions, continue to be greatly valued.

New Advisory Council Appointments

The Governance Board recently approved a number of appointments to our Advisory Councils.

Six new members have been appointed to the Technical Advisory Council (TAC): Bobbi Fox (Harvard University), Trevor Thornton (North Carolina State University), Maggie Hughes (UCLA), Dallas Pillen (University of Michigan), Julia McGinnis (California University of Pennsylvania), Megan Blair (St. Edward's University), and Jason Loeffler (American Academy in Rome). Peter Carini will be the board liaison to the TAC.

Four new members have been appointed to the User Advisory Council: Brittany Newberry (Atlanta University Center); Alston Cobourn (Texas A&M - Corpus Christi); Scott Ziegler (American Philosophical Society) and Ann Merryman (University of South Carolina Upstate). Gordon Daines will be the board liaison to the UAC.

We thank all whose terms recently concluded for their service, namely Esmé Cowles (Princeton University), Noah Huffman (Duke University), Chris Prom (University of Illinois), and Michael Vandermillen (Harvard University) for the Technical Advisory Council, and Brenda Burk (Clemson University), Nancy Enneking (Getty Research Institute), and Linda Hocking (Litchfield Historical Society), for the User Advisory Council. Very special thanks to our outgoing chairs, Sally Vermaaten (Gates Archive, formerly New York University) and Gordon Daines.

Our Advisory Councils are critical parts of the ArchivesSpace community, serving as a communication conduit between ArchivesSpace users, developers, the Governance Board, and the program team, and providing essential guidance and support for many ArchivesSpace activities. We are very grateful to all who nominated themselves or others for these positions this year and encourage all who are interested to consider service in a future year.

Core Committers Group - Monthly Open Call-Ins

The inaugural ArchivesSpace Core Committers Group had their first meeting on July 14. Code goes into the ArchivesSpace application from a variety of sources, and the core committers will be responsible for helping people with the process of contributing code to ArchivesSpace Github, reviewing and committing individual code contributions, and ensuring code contributions are properly licensed and follow best-practice guidelines.

The group will have monthly call-in meetings that are open for the community to call and listen in as the group handles enhancements to the core code base. The monthly call-ins will be on the second Monday of the month at 2pm EST. The next call-in meeting will be on August 14. Here is the conference call information:

  *   Participant Passcode: 731627
  *   US/CAN Toll Free: 1-888-354-0094
  *   Int'l Toll: 1-303-218-2652

The core committers will also stay active in the community by welcoming new contributors and helping them get involved, monitoring and responding to issues on the ArchivesSpace mailing lists, and monitoring and analyzing relevant tickets on ArchivesSpace JIRA.

If you'd like more information about the Core Committers, or if you'd like to get involved in contributing code to ArchivesSpace, please contact Laney at laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org<mailto:laney.mcglohon at lyrasis.org>.

Highlighting User Stories - Call for Ideas!

Our short time together at the Member Forum made it clear that each institution bumps into unique challenges, but the greater community often comes across very similar obstacles... and we want to hear your stories!

We plan to launch a community-centric blog series and highlight our members at the very center of these stories. We want to hear the details on your challenges, experiences, and problem-solving thought processes as you offer some helpful advice along the way. Some ideas include: migration mishaps, creative workarounds, favorite plugins, and more!

If you would like to contribute any stories or have ideas on the type of stories you'd like to hear, please reach out to Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

YouTube Channel

We are now on YouTube! Recordings of selected sessions from the Member Forum last month are available for streaming at your convenience. Visit our channel to watch the program update, PUI introduction, updates on different areas of the application, and the lightning round. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxR6D-UlSx6N6UWTeqHTjzA

We hope to share more programming videos through YouTube. If you would like to volunteer any videos or have ideas to share, please contact Kim at christine.kim at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.kim at lyrasis.org>.

New Working Group to Develop an ArchivesSpace Python Library

We're pleased to announce a new working group, open to all regardless of institutional membership in ArchivesSpace, to develop a shared Python library to facilitate scripting against the ArchivesSpace API. Led by Patrick Galligan of Rockefeller Archive Center, this working group will compile existing work in this area that people are willing to share, identify gaps, and develop functions and scripts as needed to fill them. The group expects that most work will be shared via Github and all will be publicly accessible. If you are interested in participating, please email Patrick at PGalligan at rockarch.org<mailto:PGalligan at rockarch.org>; if possible, please include your Github username in order to be added to the developing Github repository.

Staff Interface Enhancement Working Group Update

The Staff Interface Enhancement Working Group kicked off activities around the effort at the Member Forum in Portland with a brainstorming session in which over 40 people participated. The working group, which includes a diverse set of participants from many different sizes and types of institutions in the ArchivesSpace member community, will now convene every two weeks in video/telephone conferencing calls. The hour-long meetings will review documentation contributed during that time period, refine the focus of the group, and establish action points for the future. The calls are open and all members are welcome to join the discussion.

The first Zoom meeting will be on Monday, August 14th, at 11am-12pm EST.
Topic: ArchivesSpace Staff Interface Enhancement Working Group Meeting
Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime

Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android: https://msu.zoom.us/j/478788119

Or join by phone:
+1 646 558 8656 or +1 408 638 0968 US Toll
+1 877 369 0926 (US only, Toll Free)

Meeting ID: 478 788 119
International numbers available: https://msu.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=5ijYCsNkOSXaxe1liQZkWVqktcflC5qH

Throughout this process, the Working Group will communicate with the ArchivesSpace community by issuing calls for comments for various in-progress recommendations. Please visit the group's wiki page for up to date information: https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ADC/pages/103454069/Staff+Interface+Enhancement+Working+Group or get in touch with Lydia Tang (ltang5 at lib.msu.edu<mailto:ltang5 at msu.edu>), the chair of the group, if you have questions.

Membership Update

Our new members since July 20 include:

  *   Cambridge University

Kent State University School of Information joined us as an Educational Program Member.

As of August 7, we have 330 General members, 15 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers. If you are interested in your institution becoming a member of ArchivesSpace, please email us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org> for more information.

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools roundtable listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.