[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Container Profiles and the Extent/Space Calculators

Cyndi Shein cyndi.shein at unlv.edu
Fri Aug 4 17:29:01 EDT 2017

Hello,

We are mid-implementation and not yet using all the features of
ArchivesSpace--we are not yet using the container calculator or location
functions.  We agree with ArchivesSpace's method of measuring the exterior
of the containers.  With few exceptions, we measure the container, not the
stuff inside the container, and calculate extent based on the space
occupied by the container rather than the capacity of the container.  (Our
boxes are generally filled to capacity, so the measurement of the exterior
very closely reflects the mass of its contents.)  For collection management
purposes, space occupied is the measure that informs storage/space planning.

We use a local web-based tool for calculating both cubic and linear feet
simultaneously that can export/download CSV/Excel for each
collection/entry.  The tool was developed by one of our undergrad students
and it has not been widely tested, and the export isn't pretty, but it
meets our needs.

For people who may not yet be at the stage of implementing the
ArchivesSpace calculator, here is a link to UNLV's web-based archival
calculator:
https://www.library.unlv.edu/speccol/rebel_archives_calculator/

Cyndi Shein
Head, Special Collections & Archives Technical Services
UNLV Libraries