[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Memory problems

Mummey, Megan megan.mummey at uky.edu
Wed Aug 2 13:23:45 EDT 2017

Hi all,

UK's locally installed instance of ArchivesSpace has performance issues every couple of months, slowing down until eventually the application is fails. The fix is a full restart. Our programmer has indicated the failure is caused by "garbage collecting". Previously we've added RAM to our VM. We're interested in finding out how other institutions with a similar sized SOLR index are running ArchivesSpace. And if they have/had similar problems.

Information on our system below:

*        ArchivesSpace directory is about 26 GB.  This includes two copies of the Solr index (the live version and a backup, at about 3 GB each) and 19 GB of log files.  This is housed on a network share with terabytes of free space.

*        The ArchivesSpace database is housed on the libwwwapps07 VM.  The ibdata1 file for MySQL (used for all databases on the VM but primarily used by ArchivesSpace) is about 2.4 GB.  The VM has about 35 GB free.

*        ArchivesSpace is configured with the following settings:

  + ASPACE_JAVA_XMX="-Xmx6144m"

  + AppConfig[:indexer_thread_count] = 2

*        MySQL is configured with the following setting:

+ innodb_buffer_pool_size= 1600000000

*        VM has approximately 8 GB of RAM. The value of ASPACE_JAVA_XMX is lower than this to allow memory use by other processes, including MySQL (as listed above) and the web server.

Thanks,

Megan Mummey
Collections Management Archivist
Special Collections Research Center