[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace 3rd Quarter Board update

Carol A Mandel cm77 at nyu.edu
Mon Apr 3 15:01:52 EDT 2017

Dear ArchivesSpace members,

I am writing to report on the ArchivesSpace Governance Board 3rd Quarter
meeting, which was held in Chicago on March 13th.

We were pleased to welcome:

·         Heather Heckman, Pennsylvania State Archives, who is serving the
remainder of Alston Cobourn’s term as the representative for the small
member category.  (Alston accepted a new position for an institution that
is not in that category, and left the board in December.)

·         Bill Mischo, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, who is
serving in the place of John Wilkin while John serves as interim provost at
UIUC.

We reviewed the continued excellent work of the Technical Advisory Council
and User Advisory Council--and thanked the members for their dedicated
participation. The operations update we received highlighted the good
progress by development partner Hudson Molonglo (HM) and the work the
program is doing to build policies and infrastructure for further community
participation in development. We also discussed the progress on
implementation of the Communication and Engagement Plan over the last year
and made suggestions for further efforts in this area.

The board approved:

·         appointments to the Nominating Committee, chaired by Gerald (Jay)
Gaidmore, who will announce the committee membership when he sends the call
for nominations

·         the formation of several subcommittees to update the foundational
documents in light of our now well established program and governance,
including the ArchivesSpace mission, bylaws and organizational home
agreement and

·         a resolution in honor of Brad Westbrook’s dedication and founding
work on behalf of ArchivesSpace.  The text of the resolution is available
on the ArchivesSpace website at:
http://archivesspace.org/resolution-honoring-bradley-westbrook-founding-archivesspace-program-manager/

We also approved a Fiscal Year 2018 budget. Last year the board approved
spending reserve (net asset) funds to drive additional development.  As the
planned need to expend reserve funds was largely unnecessary this year due
to the timing of staffing vacancies (i.e., salary savings were available
for the additional development work), the board approved using the reserve
funds next year to enable us to capitalize on development momentum and
continue to make accelerated progress with the application.  As part of our
efforts toward greater communication, the ArchivesSpace program will
produce an annual report later this year that will include financial
information.

In closing, I am very happy to report that the ArchivesSpace membership
organization is vibrant and is growing at a steady rate.  Members are
participating in all facets of the program and continue to be its strongest
assets and advocates.

The Board welcomes your communications and comments to any and all of us,
and we extend our thanks to all of you for your continuing support and
ongoing contributions to the community we have created.

Respectfully,

Carol A. Mandel

Chair, ArchivesSpace Governance Board

Dean, Division of Libraries, New York University