[Archivesspace_Users_Group] RFC: Should a revision statement be produced on import?

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Sep 19 18:14:01 EDT 2016

We have to do significant preprocessing of our EAD to get them to import into ArchivesSpace, so I append a revisiondesc/change item in my pre-import stylesheet. But I wouldn’t object to additional tagging, as my change item is dated from when the stylesheet is run and not the AS import. It would be useful if it added the ArchivesSpace version and importer. So far, we’re usually using import plugins for EAD — in 1.4.2 a modified version of Yale plugin to get barcodes imported, in 1.5.1 test, a different plugin to import dao|daoloc/@role —> digital-object.use_statement and fix some other problems. So it would be handy to track those details as well (and that is not info available to the pre-processor stylesheet, so that would be value added for me).

ArchivesSpace export adds a <creation> element with date: I guess it makes sense to tag it there rather than revision stmt, since from ASpace POV, it is a new EAD creation & serialization, even if we are using it as a replacement for an existing EAD. ( i.e. from MY POV, its a revision. ) ASpace version and serializer info would be useful here as well.

— Steve Majewski