[Archivesspace_Users_Group] hELP - No record found after test migration from v1.4.2 to 1.5.0

Mang Sun mang.sun at rice.edu
Wed Sep 14 15:00:20 EDT 2016

Christine and other AS community members who have successfully migrated
AS 1.4.2 to AS 1.5.x,

We are trying to  draw attention and seek help from AS development team
and other community members who have successfully migrated AS 1.4.2 to
AS 1.5.x. If necessary, we are willing to  provide our MySQL dump file
for you to test.

Test migration from AS 1.4.2 to AS1.5.x really drives us mad. Though we
don't quite see any (out of mem) error in the log, we still blindly pump
up heap size (Xmx )to 6GB, stack size set o 3MB and rerun rebuild index
or the complete migration steps, the problem is still there - Solr
seemingly very silently stops writing or committing index files when the
number of docs in Solr reaches to  about 15,xxx as opposed to  500,xxx
indexed docs found  in our 1.4.2 instance, though thereafter we still
can see the " end_commit_flush" message  pop up in the log  from time to
time .Our test box environments are

1. Redhat 6.8 ,JAVA build 1.7.0_67 . MySQL 5.1.7 and 8GB memory
  2.. Redhat 7.2 Virtual Machine,NYSQL 5.5.45, java 1.80_65,and 4GB.
  We also can  confirm database side migration  is largely done with new
tables and fields added, existing records converted and top container
records added. The problem is sticking to rebuilding the whole index -
Solr  stops writing and committing  index prematurely after  the number
of docs  grows to a small number(12xxx-15xxx) though commit  flush can
still be seen thereafter .

Now we have exhausted ideas and means in figuring out why this "no
record found " problem that seemingly only  happens to us.

Other experiment we did is export EAD file of one resource record from
our production and load it into a 1.4.2 test instance and then upgrade
this test instance to 1.5.x. this time the resource record can be
indexed and appear(some issue with the Name )  in the test 1.5.x instance.

I think there is some fundamental but very sneaky issue with 1.5.x
indexing (rebuild index). The challenge is that no explicit error
message that could be easily found in the log that can give us some hint
and therefore this is a nightmare given the long waiting time before you
can confirm a  successful indexing or not.  May be a standalone tool
allowing user to manually rebuild index could be very helpful and
straightforward, and less arcane.

As mentioned earlier, records have been converted and migrated but not
indexed, what else we tried is use direct route path (can be inferred
from our production) to pull records out and update them by toggling
through   Suppress/Unsuppress or Publisesh/Unpublished , then we can get
those updated records indexed. in the following diagram, we can see 3
resources, 2 agent records and some other record types highlighted in
yellow appear in the types field, as opposed to the types (not
highlighted) originally indexed and generated by the migration process.
Also in the same diagram, the number of indexed docs is too small (we
can see about half million docs in our 1.4.2 production instance).Also
we found a side  issue with agent record, no matter what you set for
Publish, Solr only sees it unpublished.But   At least, this experiment
can confirm there is not obvious problem with dynamic indexing.

If AS developers or other AS users want to reproduce the issue or give a
try for a solution, we can provide our v1.4.2 database dump or the
v1.5.x database dump.

Thank you very much.

Mang Sun

Rice U.