[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Community review of Rights Management Enhancements specification

Max Eckard eckardm at umich.edu
Wed Oct 5 09:07:45 EDT 2016

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for the feedback! This issue about the pairing of Conditions
Governing Access/Use notes and the Rights module has definitely come up in
our conversations.

Borrowing some language from these conversations, at least for the moment
we see the statements in the ArchivesSpace Rights module being used in
conjunction with rights/access statements supported in the Conditions
Governing Access and Conditions Governing Use notes. The Rights module
statements are for granular, actionable statements, whereas the Conditions
Governing Access/Use notes are for summary, non-actionable statements, and
instructions, where appropriate, for contacting rights holders. That may
turn out to be an unnecessary redundancy, and clearly there are folks like
you that make a good case for that in theory and in practice, but that's at
least our thinking for now.

Thanks again for your input! It really is very much appreciated!
Max