[Archivesspace_Users_Group] splitting containers encoded as box:folder

Mark Cooper mark.cooper at lyrasis.org
Wed Nov 16 11:58:16 EST 2016

Hi Steve,

It's definitely a good idea to be very cautious with SQL updates to the ArchivesSpace db, but in this case I'd argue it's appropriate, as well as being the most straightforward path. There's always more than one way to do it but it's something along the lines of:

Create a tmp table of the container ids and split indicator_1 (ind1, ind2) values where type_1 is box:folder

Update container type_1 to box where id is in your tmp box:folder table

Update container type_2 to folder where id is in your tmp box:folder table

Use the matching id in the tmp table to update indicator_1 -> ind1, indicator_2 -> ind2.

Reindex (you can be precise about it by looking up related records through container -> instances and updating their system_mtime, but just doing everything is easiest).

Best,

Mark

Mark Cooper
Technical Lead, Hosting and Support