[Archivesspace_Users_Group] getting rid of <emph> in titles [was: Character limits on sub notes?]

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Nov 3 12:38:26 EDT 2016

One possible fix to get rid of the markup in public interface record titles:

copy public/app/views/records/_title_pane.html.erb into plugins/local/public/views/records/

change this first line in the template to the last line below:

<       <h2><%= record_title %>
---
>       <h2><%= record_title.gsub( /<[^>]+>/ , '' ) %>

This removes markup tags entirely.
A better solution might be to transform EAD markup into HTML markup in the view.

A lot of models have a display_string as well as a title, so it might also be a better solution might be to fix these titles in the display_strings upstream in the controller rather than the view, but that probably requires changing it in several places and I’m not sure if there are other issues with making that sort of change.

I may be looking at this issue further in the near future: we have EAD that imports records with mixed content — specifically <title> tags around manuscript titles in the JSONmodel titles, which I will want to preserve on EAD export, but scrub in the display. ( So I may push a patch after I have figured out and tested the best way to handle this. )

— Steve Majewski / UVA Alderman Library