[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Event Creation message

Noah Huffman noah.huffman at duke.edu
Wed Jun 22 09:45:45 EDT 2016

Hi Ed,

The "translation missing" message is telling you that the new event type you created does not have a translation value specified in archivesspace/locales/enums/en.yml.

As far as I know, any time you create a new value in a controlled value list, you also have to add an entry for that new value in your enums/en.yml file.  This file controls how values stored in the backend will display in the frontend (both staff and public interface).

To fix this, you'll need to:

--open en.yml at archivesspace/locales/enums/en.yml

--find where the event_event_type translations are located (somewhere around line 344). See: https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/common/locales/enums/en.yml#L344

--Add two new entries for the new event types you created.  You can model them after the ones already in the file.  Something like:

destruction approval sent: Destruction Approval Sent

--Save the file and restart the application.

If you start adding lots of new translation values, you'll have to remember to copy this file over to any newer releases of ArchivesSpace after you upgrade.  Or, you could just manage your list of local controlled value translations as a plugin.  Example: https://github.com/noahgh221/archivesspace-duke-plugins/blob/master/plugins/local/frontend/locales/enums/en.yml

FWIW, I've always found it a bit odd that you have to modify the application files and restart the app any time you want to create a new controlled value...

-Noah

Noah Huffman
Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Digital Records
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University | 919-660-5982
http://library.duke.edu/rubenstein/