[Archivesspace_Users_Group] out of memory errors during reindexing, 1.5 RC3

Vandermillen, Michael michael_vandermillen at harvard.edu
Wed Jul 20 14:41:34 EDT 2016

Hi,

As we import more and more finding aids into our archivesspace test instance, I get out of memory errors when trying to reindex (by deleting indexer_state and solr_index):

SEVERE: auto commit error...:java.lang.IllegalStateException: this writer hit an OutOfMemoryError; cannot commit

For 1.4x (and 1.5 RC 1), we had aspace heap set at the default (1024m) and could successfully reindex, after loading 4000+ finding aids. We have now loaded 5000+ finding aids, but even when I increase available heap to 8 gig (more doesn't seem reasonable), I still get out of memory errors during a reindex (using 1.5 RC3).

Has anyone else run into this? Any suggestions?

Michael

Michael Vandermillen
Digital Library Software Engineer
Harvard University IT