[Archivesspace_Users_Group] public interface mods

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Dec 12 17:42:26 EST 2016

[1] See the instructions at:
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/CUSTOMIZING_THEMING.md
http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/archivesspace-plug-ins-readme/

specifically the part about adding branding to the local plugins directory.
The example in the first link above changes the branding for the frontend, not the public interface, so you would want to instead add: plugins/local/public/views/site/_branding.html.erb.

[2] As noted in the 2nd link above, the top level template is:
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/public/app/views/layouts/application.html.erb
The ‘render’ calls in that template call the other templates you can override in plugins/local/public/views/site/

<%= render "site/branding" %>
<%= render "site/header" %>
<%= render_aspace_partial :partial => "site/advanced_search" %>
<%= render_aspace_partial :partial => "site/breadcrumb" %>
<%= render "site/footer" %>

https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/tree/master/public/app/views/site

so you need to also copy _footer.html.erb and _header.html.erb to the local plugins directory and edit those copies to customize.

[3] For the content to the right of the search box in that example, I’m guessing that you would also copy index.html.erb to plugins and add something to that empty “span4” div :

https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/public/app/views/site/index.html.erb#L32-L34

CSS is using bootstrap: http://getbootstrap.com. See those docs if you want to understand what those “span” and “row-fluid” classes mean. They control the layout. You can also add your own classes to the bootstrap classes, but you shouldn’t remove the bootstrap classes, as in that middlebury page, they have changed it to : "<div class=“span4 about” >”

[4] As noted in the docs linked above, some of the text labels come from the locales files.
Where you see the I18n.t() functions in the templates, you can replace the default text in the plugins locale file.

https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/public/app/views/site/index.html.erb#L10-L11

en:
  brand:
    title: ArchivesSpace Public Interface
    home: Home
    welcome_message: Welcome to ArchivesSpace.
    welcome_search_label: "Find what you're looking for:"

— Steve Majewski