[Archivesspace_Users_Group] LCNAF import plugin

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at eservices.virginia.edu
Thu Dec 1 13:42:44 EST 2016

LCNAFConverter is just overriding and extending MARCXMLConverter.
https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/5e1ca66f1f04f142f2695024efb7200825046325/plugins/lcnaf/backend/model/lcnaf_converter.rb

There is very little MARC mapping in that code module —  it’s mostly in the base class, so look at:

https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/5e1ca66f1f04f142f2695024efb7200825046325/backend/app/converters/marcxml_converter.rb

https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/5e1ca66f1f04f142f2695024efb7200825046325/backend/app/converters/lib/marcxml_base_map.rb

The bulk of the code in the plugin deal with search and selection of MARC records to import.
MARC mappings are mostly inherited from above.

<opinion>
I would suggest:
[1] simplify by ripping out the OCLC import and only use id.loc.gov<http://id.loc.gov>
[2] since there are multiple formats available from id.loc.gov<http://id.loc.gov> service, and MARC mappings are complex and difficult to understand, I would consider writing a new importer from scratch for one of these alternate formats. </opinion>

— Steve Majewski