[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Missing text from between HMTL tags in Public Interface

Lara Friedman-Shedlov ldfs at umn.edu
Wed Aug 31 17:26:40 EDT 2016

Thanks, Mark.  We've been experiencing this same problem as Kari.

A similar issue we've noticed is that ASpace seems to ignore EAD <table>
notes like Biographical / Historical.  In this case the text does show up
in the public interface, but it is unformatted.  See for example
http://archives.lib.umn.edu/repositories/7/resources/959  -- look at the
last paragraph in the historical sketch.  It should appear in 3 columns
(see http://special.lib.umn.edu/findaid/html/ymca/yusa0009x2x40.phtml), but
instead it's a solid block of unformatted text.

Is this also on the radar or is this a separate issue?

/ Lara Friedman-Shedlov

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 3:54 PM, Custer, Mark <mark.custer at yale.edu> wrote:

> Kari,
>

> Although I know that this doesn’t help right now, I can assure you that
> this sort of behavior has been fixed in the new public interface, which is
> due out next year (this year if you count the candidate release that’s
> scheduled to come out in early December)…  assuming that you’re talking
> about EAD elements and not HTML elements.
>

> For instance, the following is HTML with mixed-content:
>

> <ruby>

> </ruby>
>

> ASpace won’t know what to do with that (and it shouldn’t be in an EAD
> finding aid, at least not with the current EAD specification), but if it
> were in ASpace then I’d argue that the best thing that could happen would
> be for all of the text to display to the public minus those three elements.
>

> I can’t see the pictures that you added to the email (see the postscript
> below), but I assume that you are talking about mixed-content of EAD
> elements since you mention the <title> tag, like so:
>

> This is text from a unittitle, and it has a <title>Title</title> and a
> <corpname>Corpname</corpname> in it.
>

> (HTML also has a title element, but it only occurs in the HTML head
> element, which is rendered as the page name, search result title, and stuff
> like that…  i.e. not stuff in the body of the page)
>

> And if that’s the case, the new public interface will display it as
> expected without any of the EAD tags visible.
>

> Mark
>

> p.s. the pictures didn’t seem to come through in my email, but I’m well
> aware of how mixed-content is handled on both the staff and public side of
> ASpace, so I think that I can still “see” exactly what you’re talking about

Lara D. Friedman-Shedlov
Kautz Family YMCA Archives | University of Minnesota Libraries
ldfs at umn.edu |  612.626.7972 | www.lib.umn.edu/ymca | @yarchives