[Archivesspace_Users_Group] inclusive date issue on PDF export

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Thu Aug 11 14:15:50 EDT 2016

Thanks, Sarah, for forwarding me an example. I checked in 1.5.1 and 1.5.0 and confirmed that the encoding of <unitdate type=”inclusive”> appears in the EAD when the date type in the staff interface is “single”, which is the reason it also appears in the PDF. This encoding also appears in the EAD exported from 1.4.2 (and previous versions), but is not as noticeable in the PDF, because something was added to the PDF stylesheet for 1.5.0 that made these dates more prominent. The encoding is actually intentional – the only values for unitdate type in EAD are “inclusive” or “bulk”, so an EAD export from ArchivesSpace (and the PDF that is based on the EAD export), converts a value of “single” to “inclusive” in order to be valid EAD. You can see this in the mapping document for EAD imports and exports at http://archivesspace.org/sites/default/files/EAD-Import-Export-Mapping-20130831.xlsx.

There is a lingering problem with bulk dates being converted to inclusive dates in the EAD (see https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1444). Dates with a type of “bulk” should not be converted to “inclusive”.

So even though this particular issue is not really an error/bug, I do think the new prominence of this set of dates on the PDF may be problematic, and perhaps the EAD/XSLT experts among our community could suggest some solutions.

Christine