[Archivesspace_Users_Group] EAD imports fail, sometimes. Other times, Not!

Majewski, Steven Dennis (sdm7g) sdm7g at eservices.virginia.edu
Mon Aug 8 16:06:58 EDT 2016

It does not appear to be dependent on the EAD content at all.

When it fails, it does not produce a log file, and so it appears that it never gets to the stage of parsing the XML.
It does completely upload the XML file, and I can download it from the link on the batch job page.

Import to a test server running the same 1.4.2 build worked without errors, which is why initially I was looking for a difference in server configs, but we later discovered that import of the same EAD file that would fail on one attempt would later succeed on another attempt on the same server. The only thing I can think of that might be different is the server load. In a couple of the cases where it failed, I noticed that there were other operations being logged in between the ‘Started POST “/jobs” … ‘ and the ‘Completed 200 OK’ . Perhaps something it timing out after the batch job is created but before the processing on the job is actually launched. But there’s no job log, and nothing significant in archivesspace.out .

Since imports do work some of the time, I’m punting on this problem until after we upgrade to 1.5.1 .
If the problem persists after the upgrade, then we’ll have to add some more logging and tracing to the start of the job

— Steve Majewski / UVA Alderman Library