[Archivesspace_Users_Group] ArchivesSpace Update - August 2016

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Mon Aug 1 12:11:05 EDT 2016

[ArchivesSpace Logo5.png]
August 2016 Update

ArchivesSpace monthly updates provide news about ArchivesSpace community and program activities and are sent to our member listservs, the ArchivesSpace Google Group, and SAA's Collection Management Tools roundtable listserv, as well as being posted on the ArchivesSpace website. Please feel free to share this update with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of these lists.

ArchivesSpace v1.5.0 and v1.5.1

ArchivesSpace released version 1.5.0<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v1.5.0> on July 20. This was followed up by a v1.5.1<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v1.5.1> release on July 29 to address two issues that were discovered after the v1.5.0 release that were preventing upgrades for some institutions. If you already upgraded to v1.5.0, v1.5.1 will be a minor upgrade and you can follow the standard upgrade instructions (http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/upgrading-to-a-new-release-of-archivesspace/). If you are moving from v1.4.2 or earlier versions of ArchivesSpace, please review the additional upgrade considerations at https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/blob/master/UPGRADING_1.5.0.md.

The 1.5 releases incorporate the enhanced container management functionality originally developed for Yale University by Hudson Molonglo (HM) into the core code of the application. They also incorporate the complementary location management functionality developed for New York University by HM. Documentation of these features is available in the ArchivesSpace user manual<https://docs.archivesspace.org/Default.htm>, as are screencasts<https://docs.archivesspace.org/screencasts/index.html> of some of the container management functions. Yale University<http://guides.library.yale.edu/archivesspace/ASpaceContainerManagement>  and NYU<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1oTx950yp1KdTz9cJsUaAPsqt8NfQnNjvNoNfpXzOa_I/edit?usp=sharing> have also made their local documentation available publicly, though the functionality described in it may differ slightly.

Please see the 1.5.0 release page<https://github.com/archivesspace/archivesspace/releases/tag/v1.5.0> for a listing of all the new features and bug fixes included in the release. The recording from the July 5 webinar reviewing many of these features and the process for upgrading is available at http://archivesspace.org/v150webinar.

These releases were truly a community effort, and we'd like to thank the dozens of ArchivesSpace users and developers who wrote and reviewed code, submitted pull requests, provided feedback on the features and documentation, and tested the release candidates for making them possible.

The Prioritization subteam is actively working on the development roadmap for the remainder of FY2016-17. To assist with this, ArchivesSpace Member Representatives were recently emailed a link for an online survey to rank epics (a set of user stories pertaining to a certain area or function within the application) in JIRA on behalf of their institutions. We're asking Member Representatives to complete the survey by September 16, 2016.

Updates on the Public User Interface Enhancement project

The Public User Interface Development Group recently shared an updated PUI 2.0 release timeline and made extensive updates to its wiki page:  https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Public+Interface+Enhancement+Project<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Public+Interface+Enhancement+Project>. Follow along with the project there, or contact Mark Custer (mark.custer at yale.edu<mailto:mark.custer at yale.edu>) with questions or comments for the group.

We're hiring!

ArchivesSpace is hiring a full-time developer. Join our team and help people around the world manage and provide access to their collections. A full description is at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Opening+for+ArchivesSpace+Developer. Apply by emailing your application to human.resources at lyrasis.org.

Member Forum 2016

Thanks to all who have registered for the 2016 Member Forum, taking place at the Robert W. Woodruff Library at Atlanta University Center on August 2 from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.. Information on the program is online at https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2016. This free event is open to all staff from ArchivesSpace member institutions. (Pre-registration closes on August 1.)

For those who are unable to join us, or who would like to review content after the event, the Member Forum wiki page will be updated with selected presentations and recordings after the event.

Training

The ArchivesSpace program coordinates onsite training for interested institutions. We provide the instructors and instructional instances, the host institution provides the space and can invite whomever it likes. Host institutions are responsible for instructor honoraria and travel expenses. Training is available to all institutions, though there are discounts for member institutions. Our current calendar is at http://archivesspace.org/trainingconsultations. Please contact Christine (christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org>) if you'd like to explore the possibility of hosting a training.

For those who can't host or participate in a face-to-face training, or who want to revisit certain aspects of it, a series of training videos is available in our members area. The ArchivesSpace trainer corps presented a series of live webinars using Adobe Connect for staff from institutions in the Keystone Library Network from March to May 2016. These webinars covered many aspects of our face-to-face Basics and Digital Objects workshops and edited recordings of many of the sessions are now available at https://docs.archivesspace.org/screencasts/index.html. You can watch the recordings in sequence or select only topics of particular interest to you. The sessions were presented based on ArchivesSpace v1.4.2, but other screencasts in the member area and the user manual provide information on enhancements that were introduced in v1.5.0.

Membership Update

Our new members since July 1 include:

*         University of Connecticut

*         Greenwich Historical Society

*         University of Texas at Dallas

*         Earlham College

As of August 1, we have 292 General members, 10 Educational Program members, and 3 Registered Service Providers.

Thanks to all the ArchivesSpace member organizations that have paid their invoices for the 2016-2017 membership term or let us know that they will soon. If you have questions about your renewal, or about ArchivesSpace membership in general, please contact us at ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org<mailto:ArchivesSpaceHome at lyrasis.org>.

Connect with ArchivesSpace in Person

Our big activity for this month is the Society of American Archivists annual meeting in Atlanta. Here's where you can find ArchivesSpace during SAA:

ArchivesSpace events

*         ArchivesSpace Member Forum<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/ArchivesSpace+Member+Forum+2016>, Robert W. Woodruff Library, August 2 (registration required)

*         Post-Forum Mixer (co-hosted by Registered Service Provider Atlas Systems), Hilton Atlanta, August 2, 5:30-7:00 p.m.
Extend your conversations from the Member Forum, or, if you weren't able to join us for the Forum, come for light food and drink and to catch up with other ArchivesSpace users as a warmup to your evening in Atlanta. An RSVP to christine.dibella at lyrasis.org<mailto:christine.dibella at lyrasis.org> from those not registered for the Forum is appreciated so that we are sure to have enough on hand.

*         Exhibit Hall, August 4-5 (opens August 4 at 5:00 p.m. and closes on August 5 at 4:30 p.m.; staff from ArchivesSpace and LYRASIS will be present at all times the exhibit hall is open. ArchivesSpace is in booth 707 and LYRASIS is in booth 706.)

Events hosted by others featuring ArchivesSpace program staff

*         Aeon Users Group (sponsored by Registered Service Provider Atlas Systems), August 4, 3:30-5:00 p.m.

*         Flexible Digital Preservation for a Changing World<http://sched.co/6oQi> (hosted by Preservica), August 4, 3:30-5:00 p.m.
>From Preservica: "Preservica ArchivesSpace Connector : NEW! Video & SAA Workshop: At SAA we will be jointly demonstrating Preservica's new integration with ArchivesSpace which was developed in collaboration with Yale University Library. The new catalog integration automatically synchronizes metadata and catalog hierarchy between the two systems, enabling you to maintain a single catalog view across both physical and digital artefacts. Preservica will also be showing many other new features including Virtual collections.
CLICK to learn more and join the workshop in Atlanta<http://preservica.com/events/archivesrecords-2016-july-31-august-6-2016-atlanta/>.
View a video demonstration<http://preservica.com/resource/preservica-product-insights-archivesspace-synchronization/> of the ArchivesSpace connector."

Events with information about ArchivesSpace led by ArchivesSpace users

There are also a number of sessions on the program that relate to ArchivesSpace, many featuring staff from ArchivesSpace member institutions. These include:

*         Collection Management Tools Roundtable<http://sched.co/6ni3>, August 3, 4:00-5:00 p.m.

*         S501: Making ArchivesSpace Work For You<http://sched.co/6mYh>, August 5, 3:00-4:00 p.m.

*         S506: You Are Not Alone! Navigating the Implementation of New Archival Systems<http://sched.co/6mYm>, August 5, 3:00-4:00 p.m.

*         Graduate student poster<http://sched.co/6msw> 20: Preparing Legacy Finding Aids for Ingest into ArchivesSpace

*         Professional poster<http://sched.co/6mqo> P09: Enriching Collaboration: Processing the Records of The Wellesley Centers for Women

That's the news from ArchivesSpace this month. Please feel free to share this update - and the ones in months to come - with people you know who have an interest in ArchivesSpace but may not be on one of the mailing lists mentioned.