[Archivesspace_Users_Group] EAD Import trouble with audience/publish

Noah Huffman noah.huffman at duke.edu
Tue Apr 5 16:05:34 EDT 2016

Hi Jane,

I noticed that Patrick G. from the Rockefeller Archives shared a solution to this same issue back on Nov. 16 (Subject line: Audience Question).

Basically, you can modify the EAD converter that Chris mentions to set all imported notes to 'published' by default unless EAD elements have @audience='internal'.

You can set up the modified EAD converter as a plugin.

I needed to do this locally, so I went ahead a wrote a plugin.

Here is the modified EAD converter: https://github.com/noahgh221/archivesspace-duke-plugins/blob/master/plugins/duke-ead-importer/backend/converters/duke_ead_converter.rb

Here's how to set up the plugin:

1.       Download the modified EAD converter file above (click 'Raw', save as, etc.)

2.       Save the file to the plugins directory in your ASpace application files: plugins/duke-ead-importer/backend/converters/duke_ead_converter.rb (you'll need to create the duke-ead-importer/backend/converters/ directory structure)

3.  Open the config/config.rb file, add the name of the plugin to the line that begins AppConfig[:plugins], and save it.  For example: AppConfig[:plugins] = ['local', 'duke-ead-converter']

4.       Restart the archivesspace application (archivesspace/archivesspace.sh or archivesspace/archivesspace.bat on Windows)

5.       Start a new EAD import job

For more info on how plugins work, see: http://archivesspace.github.io/archivesspace/user/archivesspace-plug-ins-readme/

I ran a couple of EAD import tests using this plugin and it seems to publish all imported notes by default unless EAD tags include @audience="internal".  Still, I'd test this before importing all your EADs to production.

Hope this helps.

-Noah

Noah Huffman
Archivist for Metadata, Systems, and Digital Records
David M. Rubenstein Rare Book & Manuscript Library
Duke University