[Archivesspace_Users_Group] New Single Sign On Plugin released

Eric J. Bivona Eric.J.Bivona at dartmouth.edu
Tue Sep 29 17:57:20 EDT 2015

I don’t know of any reason that the aspace-omniauth-cas plugin I wrote couldn’t be reworked to use the omniauth-shibboleth strategy (https://github.com/toyokazu/omniauth-shibboleth).  We tend to use CAS for internal authentication here at Dartmouth, and Shibboleth/SAML for external resources, and thus I had more experience with the omniauth-cas gem.

> Right now I'm using a plugin (https://github.com/mlibrary/aspace_remote_user) to authenticate users based on the remote_user env var sent from apache/modproxy. This doesn't align well with ASpace's architecture (because I'm effectively moving auth from the backend to the frontend), but it aligns much better with my hosting environment.

My understanding is that the ASpace backend doesn’t trust the frontend, hence the work I did to allow the backend to, essentially, reauthenticate the user before creating a session for them.  Our security team would have had serious reservations about securing such a subversion of the existing architecture, but your mileage will vary.

-Eric
-----