[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Legacy MS Word finding aids

Hughes, Margaret (Library) Margaret.Hughes at ucsf.edu
Wed Sep 16 14:19:27 EDT 2015

Good morning illustrious ASpacers,

I'm wondering if anyone is willing to share their thoughts or experiences regarding strategies to get MS Word (or other word processing applications) legacy finding aids into ASpace.

Some of the specifics: We have approximately 400 of the legacy finding aids. They are not in EAD or online. They don't follow a standard template-- location of fields and data included vary widely.

For those reasons, I'm skeptical that an automated process for getting the Word into EAD would be feasible for us and leaning towards hand entering the finding aids.

Again, if anyone is willing to share their own experience tackling this issue, successes or failures, I would really appreciate it!

Best,

Margaret

UCSF Archives & Special Collections