[Archivesspace_Users_Group] where are the boxes?

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Wed Oct 28 15:05:01 EDT 2015

Thanks for these clarifications, Matt. In the first paragraph, you’re mainly talking about an issue with display in the public interface, which the Public Interface Enhancement Project Working Group (https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/wiki/display/ADC/Public+Interface+Enhancement+Project) is hard at work on. This is definitely the kind of feedback that want and that they’re taking into consideration in their recommendations. As Patrick and Maureen indicated, if you create an instance for a particular folder title (or other unit of description), the box/folder/whatever container information you’ve supplied will display in the staff interface tree alongside the component title.

As far as MPLP goes, as with anything else, ArchivesSpace is as friendly or unfriendly as its application of it. One can very easily create a box level listing – to me, the main difference in this case is in whether you call that box a box or an intellectual entity like a series or a collection. (The example you mention seems to be for a collection or a part of a collection.) Many institutions are or will be using ArchivesSpace for this very activity. Putting my archivist hat back on, if this were something I were doing regularly, I’d create a Rapid Data Entry template for box-level description, maybe even create some default values for a Resource record (or Resource component) that would be common to such boxes, and it would be extremely fast and easy for a student/volunteer/other-data-entry-person-if-not-me to follow. And, ideally, would continue to keep my backlog to a minimum!

Christine