[Archivesspace_Users_Group] EAD Import issues with Geo Subjects

Brad Westbrook brad.westbrook at lyrasis.org
Fri May 8 08:24:23 EDT 2015

Hi, Claire,

ArchivesSpace is only able to treat the compound subjects coming from EAD as the single, hyphenated strings in which they are encoded in EAD; there's no provision to parse those kinds of subjects accurately into their respective parts in the ArchivesSpace subject record.  That work has to be done manually.  Consequently, a compound subject imported from EAD will not match with a compound subject already recorded in ArchivesSpace and will become a duplicate subject record.  The current fix is to merge those duplicate records into the subject records already in ArchivesSpace.

I realize that is an extra step in the importing process, but I don't think there is a tenable solution until after data is migrated to EAD3, which will support recording the parts of compound subjects.

Yours,

Brad W.

Bradley D. Westbrook
Program Manager