[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Public Interface development/customization

Brad Westbrook brad.westbrook at lyrasis.org
Mon Mar 30 10:23:22 EDT 2015

Hi, Colleagues,

Instance in ArchivesSpace is indeed a carryover the Archivists’ Toolkit.

It was conceived by a bunch of archivists at an AT meeting in La Jolla, CA, around 2005 as a means to record different instantiations of the same content description without have to create another component.  The instance declaration can then be linked to a container that can then be located within a repository’s storage space.   Here’s a basic example:

Content

Instance

Container

Location

Thomas Jefferson letter

Original

Document case

Vault, etc.

Microfilm

Reel #, Frame #

Microfilm cabinet

PDF

http//…

Thus allowing for:

Component:
Thomas Jefferson letter
                                Original in Document Case located in Vault
                                Microfilm on Reel # at Frame # located in Microfilm Cabinet
                                PDF located on web at http:…

Instead of

Component:
Thomas Jefferson letter in document case in Vault

Component:
Thomas Jefferson letter on reel # at frame# in Microfilm Cabinet

Component:
Thomas Jefferson letter at http:….

The concept of the instance is related to the FRBR data model, and it is replicated in the BibFrame data model where the opposition is “work” and “instance”:

[cid:image001.png at 01D068D1.D9C2CBE0]

In response to Matt’s comment, ‘archival object’ is an accident.  It was devised to refer to all the material description records (accession, resource, resource component, digital object, and digital object component) as a class but it was inadvertently used to describe resource components in the application.  The term is distributed throughout the code, and we have not yet prioritized replacing it.

We used Resources as the term for processed materials instead of collections simply because Resources can be either aggregations or items.  This too is a carryover from the Archivists’ Toolkit.

That all said, we welcome your scrutiny of and suggestions for both the public and staff interfaces.  Enhancing the ArchivesSpace public interface is a major part of the development plans for 2015.  We have identified from various sources 64 issues<https://archivesspace.atlassian.net/browse/AR-1173?jql=labels%3Dpublic_interface%20and%20resolution%3Dunresolved> concerning the public interface.  We intend to contract a UI/UX consultant to assist with this endeavor.   Later this week we will complete the scope of work statement necessary for such a contract.  Last, we will establish a task force of ArchivesSpace members to conduct this work, which will require reviewing, prioritizing, and testing the enhancements.  Mark Custer of Yale University has volunteered to lead the group, and Brian Hoffman, one of the ArchivesSpace developers, will be assigned to the task force.  Mark will be posting a call for volunteers soon, as well as a fuller description of the task force’s objectives.  I am sure this effort will also take into account the ArcLight<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/hydra/ArcLight> effort that Tom Cramer referenced in his post Saturday.

More on this soon,

Brad W.
Bradley D. Westbrook
Program Manager