[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Use of "rights statements" module?

Michael Shallcross shallcro at umich.edu
Tue Jun 30 19:04:52 EDT 2015

Thanks for these points, Ben--this would definitely be a great thing to
discuss at SAA!

Great point about the potential discrepancy between paper/analog and
digital rights.  After some reflection, I'm wondering how much of an issue
this might be?   We currently only use conditions governing access/use to
record rights information for all our materials.  The additional
functionality of the Yale container plug in helps provide some important
additional information (esp. start/end dates and nature of the restriction)
that I anticipate we would want to use for all materials (and I'm thinking
about some future Aeon-ArchivesSpace integration as I type...).

While we're hoping that our grant project will yield the ability to
automate the creation of PREMIS rights statements (in Archivematica and
possibly passing these to ASpace), I don't know that we would have our
processors use the rights module for paper/analog materials.  Also, these
more extensive machine-actionable (PREMIS) rights statements would be most
useful in a repository environment.

Just some random thoughts--as always, your point of view is much
appreciated!  Take care and happy 4th--

Mike

--
*Michael Shallcross, CA*