[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Bulk Dates in PDF finding aids

Custer, Mark mark.custer at yale.edu
Mon Feb 9 14:34:43 EST 2015

Francesca,

I just did a quick test of adding a bulk date to ArchivesSpace, and here's what I got in the EAD export:

      <unitdate normal="1960/1985" type="bulk">bulk</unitdate>

Since the EAD-to-PDF transformation does not look at the unitdate @normal values, that's why the only thing you see in your PDF file is "bulk" (if my hunch is correct, that is, and you don't have any data in ArchivesSpace's "date expression" field).  So, I'd say that there are two ways to fix this:

  1.  Update the ArchivesSpace exporter to be more like AT's EAD export, which would duplicate the date values in the EAD export (e.g. ..."normal="1960/1985">1960-1985... )
  2.  Update the PDF style sheet to use the @normal values when it would make sense to.

My vote would be for the second one.

I'd also add, though, that the ASpace exporter should not include the word "bulk" in the unitdate field (that's what @type="bulk" is for), and I definitely wouldn't recommend recording those bulk dates in multiple places in the ASpace database just to get them to display.  But, that would fix things the quickest, I suppose.

Does that sound about right, or is it a different issue altogether?

Mark