[Archivesspace_Users_Group] FW: LYRASIS Offering classes on digital project management, scrapbook preservation & digitization, and preservation assistance grants info sessions

Christine Di Bella christine.dibella at lyrasis.org
Mon Feb 2 11:31:53 EST 2015

Forwarded on behalf of Alix Bentrud of LYRASIS.

This February and March, LYRASIS is offering online classes including "Starting Right: Introduction to Digital Project Management Planning," 'Caring for Scrapbooks: Preservation and Digitization Today," and  "Free Webinar: NEH Preservation Assistance Grants"

To register or to see the full LYRASIS class schedule go to  https://www.lyrasis.org/Pages/Events.aspx

Introduction to Audio Visual Digitization      2/12/2015 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM EST
This class will enable students to create an outline of a digital project management plan for audio visual collections and understand the resources available for next steps. This class will cover the differences in Machine-based AV Collections, review the history of recording devices, and acknowledge preservation issues. Students leaving the class will have a solid understanding of digital audio and video files, modes of capture, best practice for digital audio and video, quality control procedures, storage and preservation issues.

Starting Right: Introduction to Digital Project Management Planning     2/17&26/2015 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM EST
This class is taught in two, two-hour sessions over the course of two days. Over the two days we will cover: Questions to ask before you begin, a discussion of why you are starting a digital project, how to define your audience. We will also discuss questions of intellectual property, how to accept and deal with born digital materials, and defining collection selection criteria. Collection preservation, dealing with culturally sensitive materials, building digital glossaries and Metadata considerations will also be covered. Finally the class will look at staffing considerations, digitization in-house and outsourcing, digital display, infrastructure development, funding and sustainability.

Managing Oversized Materials: Care, Handling and Preservation of Posters, Maps, and Other Large Pages in Our Collections      2/17/2015 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Architectural drawings, large maps, big works of art on paper, can be fascinating treasures in our collections but can also cause frustrations. How do we transport and store them? How do we display them? This two hour class is designed for those who understand, care for, and manage collections containing unbound oversized paper artifacts and large bound volumes. It will review the basics of preservation for paper collections including agents of deterioration, collections care priority setting, handling, and storage.

Fragile Imaging: Lantern Slides, Glass Plate Negatives and Daguerreotypes      2/19/2015 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
This two-hour online class will help you lay some of the basic groundwork needed to evaluate the condition of fragile nineteenth century materials and plan for their digitization. Best practices for image capture and preservation of originals will also be discussed.

Digitization for Small Institutions       2/24 &25/2015 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Participants will work with the instructor to answer a series of questions designed to help them start a digitization program. The class is based on a series of units: Getting Started; Digital Capture and Quality Control; Hardware, Software, Metadata, and Web Interface decisions; Practical Planning Decisions: In-house or Outsourced? Staffing and Budgeting; and Collaborative Digitization

Archives Preservation     2/26, 3/5 & 12/2015   2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Preservation is a fundamental component to any archival program. This class will provide students with a practical approach to preserving the manuscript collections and records housed in their repositories and can significantly benefit an institution, regardless of its size or scope. The emphasis will be on stabilizing materials (for example, by removing damaging fasteners), re-housing, flattening rolled or folded documents, encapsulation, photocopying, and segregating fragile items. Through the preventive actions characteristic of collection stabilization, archivists contribute to extending the useful life of collections entrusted to their care. This class will be presented in three two hour sessions.

Introduction to Dublin Core Metadata      2/26/2015 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM EST
This two-hour online class will help you lay some of the basic groundwork needed to implement Dublin Core metadata in your institution. For those familiar with MARC or other cataloging schema we will discuss how Dublin Core can be integrated into your workflow.

Caring for Scrapbooks: Preservation and Digitization Today        3/5/2015 11:00 AM - 1:00 PM EST
For many institutions, scrapbooks are one of the most problematic formats in their collections. Common in the 19th and early 20th century, scrapbooks are a unique record of individuals, families, or organizations. Newspaper and magazine clippings, cards, other ephemera, and photographs were adhered to poor quality paper in improper bindings, making them a special challenge. This live online class will examine the materials and techniques used to create scrapbooks, outline quality storage materials and proper handling techniques for these special materials. We will also take a look at some digitization options and techniques for access in use today. While the focus is on older scrapbook collections, many of the same issues apply to scrapbooks being created today.

LYRASIS Free Webinar: NEH Preservation Assistance Grants     3/11/2015 3:00 PM   - 4:00 PM EST
Attend a session to talk about your project ideas, as well as to get advice on crafting your narrative and goals. We will also be talking about what is eligible for potential digital preservation projects - now included in the Preservation Assistance Grant as an option.

LYRASIS Free Webinar: NEH Preservation Assistance Grants     3/13/2015 11:00 AM   - 12:00 PM EST
Attend a session to talk about your project ideas, as well as to get advice on crafting your narrative and goals. We will also be talking about what is eligible for potential digital preservation projects - now included in the Preservation Assistance Grant as an option.

Newspaper Collections: How to Manage, Preserve, and Digitize     3/25&26/2015 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM EST
Newspapers have an important role in our lives. They are a place for reporting on current information and upcoming events. Over time, they become a historic record of our activities, politics, opinions, weather, and businesses. Preserving this record can prove to be a challenge - especially when we consider local and regional papers. In this class we will investigate the preservation of newspapers and the role that reformatting has in that effort. We will explore the issues and benefits with microfilm and digitization options. We look at issues of accessibility, copyright, and best practices to aid in our preservation efforts. We will also examine sample projects to see how some institutions are dealing with their newspaper collections.

To register or to see the full LYRASIS class schedule go to  https://www.lyrasis.org/Pages/Events.aspx

Alix Bentrud
Preservation Services Librarian
alix.bentrud at lyrasis.org<mailto:alix.bentrud at lyrasis.org>