[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Nullpointer Exception during Migration

Flanagan, Patrick PJFlanagan at ship.edu
Fri Dec 18 10:22:32 EST 2015

Good morning,

I have just a tiny bit of additional information on this problem that I'm having. I've double and triple checked the MySQL permissions on the Archon side, and I even tried running the migration tool on a different operating system, but the null pointer is unavoidable thus far. Because of that, nothing beyond subjects and names makes it through migration. It succeeds here:

"Getting records for: ?p=core/classifications&batch_start=501
get: https://archon.klnpa.org/archon_inst/clarion_migrate/?p=core/classifications&batch_start=501
Status code: 200
Status text: Created
response: { [...]"

The next action output to the console is:

"Getting records for: ?p=core/classifications&batch_start=601
get: https://archon.klnpa.org/archon_inst/clarion_migrate/?p=core/classifications&batch_start=601
Status code: 200
Status text: Created
response: No matching record(s) found for batch_start=601
java.lang.NullPointerException"
(the stack trace that follows is identical to the one in my previous message.)

There must be some property of the Archon database that it doesn't like if it's making it to 501 and failing at 601. Blank spots, null entries, or problems with sorting order? I'm not sure where to start looking. I would greatly appreciate any assistance or speculation on the matter. The fact that it seems to get that far before failing is particularly confusing. Is there some way I can see what data it thinks it should be getting? Following those urls just results in "Please submit your admin credentials to p=core/authenticate" even if I've already done so.

Thank you for your time,

Patrick Flanagan
Keystone Library Network Hub

I'm currently tasked with migrating a number of Archon installs to ArchivesSpace. I've used the latest tool to migrate directly to 1.4.2. During migration I've received the following errors from the tool itself:

Ran migration:Unrecoverable exception, migration stopped ...

Current Record Type:
Record Identifier :

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at org.nyu.edu.dlts.utils.ASpaceCopyUtil.copyClassificationRecords(ASpaceCopyUtil.java:920<http://java:920>)
    at org.nyu.edu.dlts.dbCopyFrame$1.run(dbCopyFrame.java:231<http://java:231>)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745<http://java:745>)

Getting records for: ?p=core/classifications&batch_start=601
get: <url here> <https://archon.klnpa.org/archon_inst/clarion_migrate/?p=core/classifications&batch_start=601>
    at org.nyu.edu.dlts.utils.ArchonClient.getRootParent(ArchonClient.java:499<http://java:499>)
    at org.nyu.edu.dlts.utils.ArchonClient.getRootParent(ArchonClient.java:520<http://java:520>)
    at org.nyu.edu.dlts.utils.ArchonClient.getRootParent(ArchonClient.java:520<http://java:520>)
    at org.nyu.edu.dlts.utils.ArchonClient.getClassificationRecords(ArchonClient.java:431<http://java:431>)
    at org.nyu.edu.dlts.utils.ASpaceCopyUtil.copyClassificationRecords(ASpaceCopyUtil.java:918<http://java:918>)
    at org.nyu.edu.dlts.dbCopyFrame$1.run(dbCopyFrame.java:231<http://java:231>)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745<http://java:745>)

Running for: 14 min 08.12 sec

Current # of Records Copied:
Enum List : 9 / 9 (100.00%)
Repositories : 1 / 1 (100.00%)
Users : 1 / 1 (100.00%)
Subjects : 1750 / 1750 (100.00%)
Names : 1587 / 1587 (100.00%)

I followed the guidelines to verify the integrity of the database: for example, ensuring that date ranges are smaller-to-larger and so on. The only thing I had issue with there is that there were overlapping sort orders and too many to adjust by hand without writing a script; would that cause a null pointer to occur?

Thank you for your time,

~Patrick Flanagan
KLN Applications Administrator
Keystone Library Network Hub