[Archivesspace_Users_Group] Also: setting groups/permissions thru backend API [was: new user defaults?]

Steven Majewski sdm7g at virginia.edu
Wed Aug 5 20:38:44 EDT 2015

I would like to use the backend API to set user permissions to avoid a couple hundred mouse clicks on the admin web forms. ( Adding users to a group seems to require you add them one at a time. It would be nicer if you could paste a list of user ids into that field and click Add just once. Or maybe put everything in a checkbox matrix so you can set several user/repo/groups/permissions at once. )

I’ve tried doing a "GET /users/$ID” , pulling the permissions out of one user as a template and merging those permissions into another users json with jq, and posting again to "POST /users/$ID” .

The return value from that makes it appear to have updated:
{"status":"Updated","id":13,"lock_version":3,"stale":null,"uri":"/users/13","warnings":[]}

But doing another GET shows nothing changed.

I’ve also tried appending ?groups%5B%5D=/repositories/3/groups/15  to the URL
( which should be "repository-basic-data-entry” group for that repo ) which also returns what
looks like an updated status, but again, it appears unchanged.

In both cases, *something* got updated, if only the modification date, because if I do the same operation a second time using the same JSON, it rejects the 2nd attempt with:

{"error":"The record you tried to update has been modified since you fetched it."}

I haven’t yet tried posting to /repositories/$REPO/groups yet. Is that the one that works ?

Can anyone suggest a working API formula ?

— Steve.